Collectively known as the "327s" (in reference to the 327-foot length of their hulls), these Treasury Class Coast Guard Cutters each were named for a different U.S. Treasury Secretary. Primarily constructed for U.S. Coast Guard search and rescue operations, these cutters were first launched in 1936 and 1937. In 1944 and 1945, the vessels were converted to amphibious force flagships. Then, in 1946, they were reverted back to gunboat type until their subsequent decommissionings. Today, two of the 327s now serve as floating museums. Another two are artificial reefs in the Florida Keys.
Back to Underwater Science Program
Last updated: November 21, 2001
Questions or Comments: Underwater Science Program
Copyright 2001, The Trustees of Indiana University