Actions Taken in Response to 2008 Survey
We value your survey responses. Each year your judgments help guide our
plans and activities. Projects undertaken in response to the 2008
- Relocation of IT Helpdesk to central campus location across from Enrollment Services offices to better meet needs of students, faculty, and staff.
- Consolidation of IMS and IT help desks into a single NW IT Support Center for one stop shopping for IT/IMS support services.
- Extended hours for Walk-In service at the NW IT Support Center to include evening hours and Saturday hours to better meet the needs of students and instructors in evening and Saturday classes.
- Migration of server based services to IU’s Intelligent Infrastructure to ensure higher level of security and availability of data and other IT services.
- Began implementation of ADS logons for IU Secure wireless devices.
Instuctional Media Services
- Installed technology in over 30 classrooms.
- Reorganized and setup the IMS Studio.
- Implemented a campus-wide Preventive Maintenance program for Technology Classrooms.
- Produced over 20 video podcasts or video programs
- Brought in a new Director of IMS.
- Implemented a process to rebuild every Technology Classroom prior to the start of each semester session.
- Converted all video acquisition to digital media.
- Installed and brought on-line four (4) HD Video Conference systems.
- Designed and constructed two mobile carts with large format LCD screens. Dedicated them for general campus use.
- Designed and constructed a hybrid conference and client screening room for IMS and IT use.
- Designed and develop graphics to support IMS and IT branding.
- Provided live HD video support for numerous campus forum and meeting activities.
Telecommunications and Data Network
- Over saw the replacement of the entire campus internal network wiring and electronics to provide 1Gb to the desktop.
- Over saw the replacement of 5-year-old wireless technology with a pervasive, high speed, 802.11n wireless network utilizing IU Secure.
- Migration of VPN services to central IU resources, ensuring higher level of security and availability of services.
- Deployed I-light to campus, with the I-light backbone traversing the campus, allowing IU Northwest to have on-campus access to the I-light node.
Administrative and Web Support
- Updated the campus home page with modern look and feel, which includes the use of Spotlights, a rolling picture view of highlights of activities on campus
- Participated in the Mobile Initiative which makes information about campus events and class cancellations available on smart phones and other mobile devices
- Began the process of migrating IU Northwest web pages to the Cascade Server web content management system, allowing for easier workflow and updating of content
Microcomputer Support Services
- Installed all new PCs in Student Technology Centers.
- Designed and implemented the Information Commons, a modern, attractive area within the library with computing facilities and comfortable workspaces that encourages collaborative learning activities.
- Began expansion of kiosks stations to nearly all academic and student activity buildings on campus.
- Installed digital signage in several prominent locations on campus.
- Opened new specially designed state-of-the-art 24-station training room to replace a noisy, disruptive training space shared with numerous offices.
- Initiated short Tech Tips presentations for the Faculty Organization governing body to highlight new or unfamiliar IT services. Tech Tips are recorded and made available as podcasts for non-attendees to watch.
- Introduced the campus to the IU lynda.com pilot program that makes online IT training videos available 24/7 at no charge to currently registered students, faculty and staff as an alternative to hands-on, instructor-led training.
- Developed training program to teach the campus Crisis Management Team how to use Adobe Connect to communicate during crisis situations.