The Department of Religious Studies at Indiana University is a premier venue for re-imagining the academic study of religion.
We produce innovative, interdisciplinary research that pushes the boundaries of the field. Our faculty study error and love and book cultures, healing, wonder, and failure, empires, tourists and trees, mountains, magic, and protest—studying religion as a global phenomenon from antiquity through the contemporary world. expand->>
Dec 2, 12:00 pmAlessandro Ferrari
"Religious Freedom On The Two Sides Of The Mediterranean"
Maurer School of Law
Dec 3, 5:30 pmAlessandro Ferrari
“Europe and Islam: the Challenge of Diversity”
Hoagy Carmichael Room
Dec 5, 2:00 pmMichelle Molina
“'I love the Jesuits': Reason and Affect in an 18th Century Conversion Narrative"
Hoagy Carmichael Room
Dec 5, 1:30 pmLisa Sideris
Consecrating Science: Wonder, Ethics, and the New Cosmology"
IUPUI University Library 4115P
755 West Michigan Street, Indianapolis
- Videos of previous Fall Lectures Series lectures can be found on our news page
- Professor Candy Brown will be the keynote speaker at the "Religious Press and Print Culture" Conference at the Johannes-Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany, 11/19-22.
- Professors Heather Blair and David Haberman awarded research grants by the Consortium for the Study of Religion, Ethics, and Society (CSRES)
- Professor Constance Furey presents at the Lubar Institute conference, “Blurring the Boundaries? Mysterium Tremendum and Intimacy in Devotional Poetry”
Listen to Professor Candy Brown discuss conservative Christians' take on Halloween on Interfaith Voices
Professor Lisa Sideris awarded Beth Wood Distinguished Service-Learning Faculty Award
- Michael Ing awarded grant by the Chiang Ching-Kuo Foundation
The Consortium for the Study of Religion, Ethics, and Society(CSRES)
- Professor Heather Blair awarded 2014 Trustees Teaching Award
- Professor Constance Furey receives 2014 James P. Holland Award for Exemplary Teaching and Service to Students
For more information about events, sign up for our weekly e-newsletter.
- Nov 20, 6:00-7:30
Sycamore Hall 105
Career Event with URSA and Rachel Landis of the Career Development Center
- Indiana University Team wins Regional Ethics Bowl
With Religious Studies major Rafal Swiatkowski and graduate student Joe Bartzel
- Alumn Nancy Hiller shares her story.
- Ph. D. Candidate Travis Cooper's Essay "Serpents, Novelty, and Academic Fetish" was just published in the Bulletin for the Study of Religion
- Congratulations to Shelby Everett who was awarded the 2013-2014 Excellence in Service-Learning Student Award!
- Ashlee Andrews and Kristin Francoeur awarded travel grants
- Congratulations to Kristin Francoeur who received a 2014 Mellon Innovating International Research, Teaching, and Collaboration award. Help support continued excellence in our department
A Ministry of Presence
Winnifred Sullivan, University of Chicago Press, 2014
Thinking Orthodox in Modern Russia: Culture, History, Context
Patrick Michelson, University of Wisconsin Press, 2014
The Healing Gods
Candy Gunther Brown, Oxford University Press, 2013
- Eusebius of Caesarea:
Tradition and Innovations
Jeremy Schott, Harvard University Press, 2013