This Fall marks the beginning of the IU SINGING HOOSIERS 64th year. Every member of THE SINGING HOOSIERS is charged with the responsibility of upholding, maintaining, and continuing the tradition of excellence that this program enjoys.
2013-14 Audition Information: Auditions of singers and also instrumentalists interested in playing in The Singing Hoosiers Band and the SH Horns.
Inquiry Session: Information about The Singing Hoosiers for anyone/everyone interested in auditioning: Wednesday, August 21st, 10 pm at MAC 040.
Auditions: Thursday, August 22nd, and Friday, August 23rd in MAC 040.
Call Backs: Saturday
YOU WILL NOT BE ADMITTED to the audition unless you have COMPLETED the audition form and it is appropriately SIGNED. Audition forms may be downloaded on the Singing Hoosiers website or a copy can be picked up at MA051.
In order to sign up for an audition, you must call 812-855-0427 or sign up in person (in advance) in MA051, the Choral Department Office.
WE will provide a very talented accompanist to play piano for your audition but you may also:
- bring an accompanist
- accompany yourself
- bring a pre-recorded CD/mp3
- sing a cappella (this should be your last choice)
The Vocal Audition Will Include:
1. The performance of one or two prepared pieces of your choice in a style which best shows off your voice, and makes you most comfortable. Ideally your selections should be in the pop, Broadway, jazz, or Great American Songbook genres, but you should perform what you know and can do best (holiday carols and patriotic songs are acceptable as a last choice!)
2. Sight reading a simple line of music. You will be given a few seconds to look over the excerpt and the starting pitch. RESULTS for CALL BACKS for The Singing Hoosiers will be posted by noon on Saturday August 24 2013 outside of MA404. You will also be sent an e-mail if you provided an e-mail address on the application. Call Backs will be Saturday and the final results of our 2013-14 ensemble will be posted Sunday, August 25th. The first Singing Hoosier rehearsal is Monday August 26th at 3:35 p.m.in MA404
The instrumental audition will include:
The Instrumental Audition (piano, bass, drums, guitar, trumpet, trombone sax) Will Include:
1. The performance of one or two prepared pieces of your choice in a style which best shows off your instrument, and makes you most comfortable. Ideally your selections should be in the pop, jazz or Great American Songbook genres, but you should perform what you know and can do best. Improvisation is encouraged, though not required. Classical players who would like to perform non-classical repertoire are encouraged to audition.
2. Sight reading a simple line of music. You will be given a few seconds to look over the excerpt and the starting note.
3. Instrumentalists sign up for an open audition slot on August 21-23.
If you have any questions about the audition itself, feel free to contact the Singing Hoosiers Student Manager, Jared McElroy at: firstname.lastname@example.org