Welcome to Simon Hall!
The building manager is John Morrow. His office is in Simon Hall 005C.
Phone: 856-4937 between 7:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m. M-F
Building Services for water leaks if John is gone: 855-3122
Physical Plant for building issues (hoods, etc.) if John is gone: 855-8728
The building is on lockdown after working hours (defined as 7:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday). Outside of these hours, you will need to use your IU ID in order to gain access into the building. In order to be granted access, please stop by SI 003 with your ID and we will enter it into the system. If your ID card has been updated, we will need to update your profile in the system.
Please note that the north door closest to Chemistry has not worked correctly consistently since the building opened. If that door will not grant entry, then please try another door.
Our office is open from 8:00-12:00 p.m. and 1:00-5:00 p.m. unless otherwise noted (we are closed from 12:00-1:00 p.m. for lunch). Please note that due to staff shortages, it may be necessary to close the office for unforeseen circumstances periodically.
Simon Hall Room 003 offers the following services:
1) Copy machine - In order for you to make copies, we will need to enter an account number which will create a code for you to operate the machine. Copies are 3 cents each and we are not able to accept cash. Copies are black and white only and we are not able to provide transparencies.
2) Scanning to pdf - We are also able to scan a document to pdf and send it to your email at no charge. Pdfs are scanned in black and white only.
3) Faxing - We can receive faxes for you and put them in your mailbox. Our fax number is (812) 856-5710. If you are planning on sending a fax long distance, you will need your departmental long distance code.
4) Outgoing mail (stamped or non-stamped) and campus mail. There are trays on the shelves immediately on your left as you walk in the door. Mail is taken over to Jordan Hall at10:00am and 2:00 p.m.
5) Keys for labs, offices, and mailboxes are issued in this office. Lab drawer keys are ordered by each lab from the Lock Shop (5-1786) and are to be ordered and kept internally by each individual lab. Key card access is also issued in this office, but must be approved either by your P.I. or a specified faculty member.
6) Laptop/projector reservations – There is a MacBook available for reservation that operates both PC and MAC systems. This laptop is only to be used for presentations and not for lab work and must be reserved ahead of time by contacting our office, firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, please note that there are plasma screens in each conference room, which eliminate the need for a projector. The exception to this is SI 001. We also have red and green laser pointers available for check out. Classes in SI 001 have priority use of these items.
7) Conference room reservations - We have three small conference rooms available (SI 030, SI 216A, and SI 320E) which seat roughly 10 to 12 people. In addition, our seminar room (SI 001) seats 50 people and classes have priority over lab meetings or other reservations. Please email email@example.com to request your reservation. Reservation requests are prioritized with first consideration given to those within the sciences who have necessary use and access of Simon Hall MSB1.
Please reference http://www.indiana.edu/~sioffice/calendars.shtml to check room availability and contact firstname.lastname@example.org
to make a reservation. Reservations can only be made by contacting the business office via email@example.com. Please refer to our Simon Hall room reservation policy for guidelines concerning room reservations.
Google calendars for conference rooms
- Simon Hall Room 001 Calendar (Seminar room, seats 50)
- Simon Hall Room 030 Calendar (Seats 10-12)
- Simon Hall Room 216A Calendar (Seats 10-12)
- Simon Hall Room 320E Calendar (Seats 10-12)
Conference rooms 030, 216A, and 320E have plasma screens and telephones.
We utilize a listserv to update everyone in the building of any issues that may arise, such as building maintenance/repairs or building announcements. You will automatically be added to this listserv when you check out a key.
Lost and found:
We have a lost and found box in SI 003.
US and Campus Mail:
U.S. and Campus mail is picked up around 2:00 p.m. and put in mailboxes. You are welcome to bring your used campus mail envelopes (goldenrod color) to SI 003 and we will reuse them.
Our mailing address is:
Simon Hall MSB1
212 S. Hawthorne Drive
Bloomington, IN 47405-7003
It is very important to put the “MSB1” on the address. We are frequently mistaken for Simon Hall Music Center with an incorrect mailing label.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are keeping your mailbox in your home department (i.e., Chemistry, Jordan Hall), please continue to address all correspondence from that address. Once you change your physical address in the University system, you will start to receive mail here and you will not have a corresponding mailbox. It would be most convenient for our staff that your mail go to the mailbox where it is physically located.
We are able to send Fedex/DHL shipments for those housed in Simon Hall from our office between the hours of 8am and 3pm. Please bring all requests to SI 003 before 3pm each day. You may also receive your packages in SI 003.
We have two common areas in this building. There is a lounge-type area with tables, refrigerator, microwave, etc. on the south side of the third floor on the west end (by the freight elevators). This area also has Coke and vending machines.
The second common area is the Simon Hall Conference Room balcony, located on the east end of the building on the first floor. The balcony will be open M-F from 7:30 a.m. – 4:45 p.m., weather permitting. Please be responsible and take care of your trash, etc. The Balcony will be closed for special events, such as a President’s meeting or an event for the College. We will notify occupants of the closing via email.
- You must get permission to hang up any fliers in the building from the Simon Hall Business Office (SI 003).
- Please do not tape anything directly to the painted walls in the hallway or in your lab.
- Please do not tape anything to the windows or the glass on the doors.
- Please do not staple or tape anything to the bulletin boards.
- There are paper and plastic/can recycling bins throughout building.