Estela Vieira | Faculty
Associate Professor, Department of Spanish and Portuguese
Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Comparative Literature
Affiliated Faculty, Institute for European Studies, Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies, and African Studies
Office: GISB 2149
Ph.D., Yale University, 2006
M.A., University of Virginia, 2001
B.A., University of Virginia, 1997
- Portuguese and Brazilian literatures and cultures
- Comparative approaches to Lusophone and Hispanic studies
- Film and literature
- Portuguese cultural history
- Nineteenth-century realist novel
- Interiors and Narrative: The Spatial Poetics of Machado de Assis, Eça de Queirós, and Leopoldo Alas. Lanham, MD: Bucknell University Press, 2013.
- “National Cinema and Intertextuality in Alejandro Amenábar: From Hollywood to Julio Cortázar.” Bulletin of Spanish Studies 91.8 (2014): 1229-1244.
- “Politics and the Aesthetics of Absence in Margarida Cardoso’s Cinematic Work.” Hispanic Research Journal 14.1 (Feb. 2013): 67-85.
- “Discovery as Mediation: Luís de Camões’s Account of the Portuguese’s Arrival in India.” Portuguese Literary and Cultural Studies 21/22 (2012): 369-382.
- “Álvaro de Campos's Ultimatum: An Old Recipe for a New Portuguese Poetics.” Luso-Brazilian Review 47.2 (Fall 2010): 120-134.
- “The Aquatic Unconscious: Water Imagery in Eça de Queirós’s A Cidade e as Serras.” Portuguese Studies 26.2 (2010): 168-182.
- "A lição da leitura: memória e emoção em A Morgadinha dos Canaviais.” Actas 20: Filologia, Memória e Esquecimento. Orgs. Fernanda Mota Alves, Sofia Tavares, Ricardo Gil Soeiro, Daniela Di Pasquale. Ribeirão: Húmus, 2010. 481-492.
- “‘Saudade’ and ‘Soledad:’ Fernando Pessoa and Antonio Machado on Nostalgia and Loneliness.” Romance Notes 48.1 (Fall 2007): 125-133.
- “The Lisbon Earthquake of 1755 and the Portuguese Literary Imagination.” ellipsis: Journal of the American Portuguese Studies Association 5 (2007): 113-129.
- "Milton Hatoum e a representação do exótico e do imigrante." Arquitetura da memória: ensaios sobre os romances Dois Irmãos, Relato de um Certo Oriente e Cinzas do Norte de Milton Hatoum. Ed. Maria da Luz Pinheiro de Cristo. Manaus: Universidade Federal Amazonas, 2007. 171-179.
- Literature & Film in Portuguese
- Women Writing in Portuguese
- Literatures of the Portuguese Speaking World
- Prose in Portuguese: Essay
- Portugal: The Cultural Context
- Luís de Camões
- Poetry in Portuguese: Love and War
- City and Country: 18th- and 19th-Century Portuguese Literature
- Several Selves, Numerous Nations: 20th-Century Portuguese Literature
- Spain: The Cultural Context
- Introduction to Hispanic Literature
- Heroines of Hispanic Drama
Current Research Projects
- Crisis and Modernity: An Introduction to Portuguese Literature and Culture
- Fernando Pessoa’s Female Voices
- Female Characterization in the Short Stories of Machado de Assis