How can we help you?
SPEA's Career Development Office (CDO) offers professional career advising for both students and alumni. To meet with an advisor, simply make an appointment by calling (812)855-9639 or by going to SPEA 200. Normal advising sessions are 30-45 minutes in length.
The CDO offers Drop-In Hours during the week if you have a quick question that will only take 5-15 minutes to answer. Anything over 15 minutes will require an appointment.
- Monday through Thursday 1:30-3:30pm
- Tuesdays 10:00-11:00am
Professional advisors can meet with you to discuss the following topics:
- Student Timelines - When should you start searching/applying for jobs and internships? We can help you to develop a timeline!
- Resume/Cover Letter Critiques - We can cover basic resume and cover letter formation or can help you tailor your resume and cover letter to a particular job/internship posting (24-hour advance notice is required and you must email your resume/cover letter to the advisor prior to your appointment)
- Job/Internship Search Strategies - Unsure where to start? We can go over some tips, tricks, and resources that you should use when searching for that perfect job or internship.
- Job/Internship Application Assistance
- Mock Interviews - We can help you prepare for your interview by tailoring a one-hour interview session specific to the job or internship for which you are interviewing. Please be prepared for a one-hour interview session immediately followed by a 30 minute question and answer session. (24-hour advance notice is required and you must email your resume/job description to the advisor at least one day prior to your appointment)
- Evaluating Employment Offers
- Graduate School Applications- Applying to graduate school? We can help with your application!
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs) - We can help write/proofread your KSAs for goverment applications.
Late/No-Show Policy - For Appointments and Interviews
Making the transition from student to employee involves behaving in a professional manner. This includes practicing good attendance habits. We require that you cancel with our office by email, phone, or in person at least 24 hours in advance of your scheduled advising appointment, office hours, or other event. If you cancel later than 24 hours in advance, it will not count as a no-show, but it will be on record with our office. Failure to give any notice of your absence results in the implementation of the following no-show policy:
- 1st no-show: First Email Warning
- 2nd no-show: Final Email Warning
- 3rd no-show: Reduced SPEACareers.com & appointment privileges