Matthew R. Auer
Ph.D., Yale University, New Haven, CT, 1996
M.S., Yale University, New Haven, CT, 1994
MALD, Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Medford, MA, 1990
A.B., (Magna Cum Laude), Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, 1988
Awards, Honors & Certifications
- Harold D. Lasswell Prize, Springer and Policy Sciences, 2010. Awarded to the best article in each volume of Policy Sciences that contributes most to the theory and practice of the policy sciences. Awarded to: “Communication and Competition in Environmental Studies,” Policy Sciences, Vol. 43, No. 4: 365-390.
- Fellow, Academic Leadership Program, Committee on Institutional Cooperation (Big Ten Universities), 2007-2008
- Appointee, IU LeaD, 2006
- President's Award for Excellence in Teaching, Indiana University, 2005
- Trustee Teaching Award, Indiana University, 2001, 2002, 2005
- Outstanding Instructor, Undergraduate Program, School of Public and Environmental Affairs, Indiana University, 1998, 2001, 2004
- Faculty Colloquium on Excellence in Teaching Award, 2002
- Myres McDougal Prize, Society for the Policy Sciences, 2001. For exemplary policy sciences research published in 2000 (awarded for "Who Participates in Global Environmental Governance? Partial Answers from International Relations Theory," Policy Sciences 33(2): 155-180)
- Outstanding Junior Faculty Award, Indiana University, 2000
- Teaching Excellence Recognition Award, for exemplary contributions to the teaching mission of SPEA and Indiana University, 1997, 1998, 1999
Intersection of foreign aid and sustainable development; international forest policy; energy efficiency; public administration; environmental education; undergraduate honors education
- Kauneckis, Derek L. and Auer, Matthew R. A Simulation of Climate Regime Formation, Simulation & Gaming (in press, 2012).
- Auer, Matthew R. 2012. “Group Forest Certification for Smallholders in Vietnam: An Early Test and Future Prospects,” Human Ecology, Vol. 40, No. 1: 5-14.
- Auer, Matthew R. 2012. Creating Rules for Natural Gas Drilling, New York Times, June 15.
- Auer, Matthew R. 2012. Tapping More Fossil Fuels Is Likely to Be Fossil Foolish, New Orleans Times-Picayune, March 1.
- Auer, Matthew R. 2011. “The Policy Sciences of Social Media,” Policy Studies Journal, Vol. 39, No. 4: 709-739.
- Clark, Susan, Rutherford, Murray, Auer, Matthew, Cherney, David, Wallace, Richard, Mattson, David, Clark, Douglas, Foote, Lee, Krogman, Naomi, Wilshusen, Peter, Steelman, Toddi. 2011. “College and University Environmental Programs as a Policy Problem (Part 1): Integrating Knowledge, Education, and Action for a Better World?” Environmental Management, Vol. 47, No. 5: 701-715.
- Clark, Susan, Rutherford, Murray, Auer, Matthew, Cherney, David, Wallace, Richard, Mattson, David, Clark, Douglas, Foote, Lee, Krogman, Naomi, Wilshusen, Peter, Steelman, Toddi. 2011. “College and University Environmental Programs as a Policy Problem (Part 2): Strategies for Improvement” Environmental Management, Vol. 47, No. 5: 716-726.
- Auer, Matthew R., Richards, Kenneth, Seesholtz, David, Fischer, Burnell, Freitag, Christian, and Joshua Grice. 2011. “The U.S. Forest Service and Its Responsibilities under the National Environmental Policy Act: A Work Design Problem,” Public Organization Review, Vol. 11, No. 2: 135-153.
- Auer, Matthew R. 2010. “Communication and Competition in Environmental Studies,” Policy Sciences, Vol. 43, No. 4: 365-390.
- Auer, Matthew R. and Michael Cox. 2010. “Appraising Climate Change Information Reported to Congress,” International Journal of Climate Change Strategy and Management, Vol. 2, No. 2: 118-133.
- Auer, Matthew R. 2010. “Better Science and Worse Diplomacy: Negotiating the Cleanup of the Swedish and Finnish Pulp and Paper Industry,” International Environmental Agreements: Politics, Law, and Economics, Vol. 10, No. 1: 65-84.
- Auer, Matthew R. 2008. “Sensory Perception, Rationalism, and Outdoor Environmental Education,” International Research in Geographical and Environmental Education, Vol.17, No. 1: 6-12.
- Auer, Matthew R. 2008. “Presidential Environmental Appointees in Comparative Perspective,” Public Administration Review, Vol. 68, No. 1: 68-80.
- Auer, Matthew R. 2007. “More Aid, Better Institutions, or Both,” Sustainability Science, Vol. 2, No. 2: 189-197.
- Auer, Matthew R. 2007. “Policy Sciences in Critical Perspective,” Jack Rabin, Gerald J. Miller, and W. Bartley Hildreth, eds., Handbook of Public Administration. London: Taylor & Francis, pp. 545-566.
- Auer, Matthew R. 2006. “The Five Senses Approach to Outdoor Experiential Learning,” International Journal of Learning, Vol. 13, No. 5: 163-166.
- Auer, Matthew R. 2006. “Contexts, Multiple Methods, and Values in the Study of Common-Pool Resources,” Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, Vol. 25, No. 1: 215-227.
- Auer, Matthew R. 2006. “Getting People’s Attention,” in James L. Perry and Stephen G. Jones, eds., Quick Hits for Educating Citizens, Bloomington, Indiana: Indiana University Press, pp. 24-26.
- Auer, Matthew R., Karr-Colque, Catherine, Doench, Brian, and Jan McAlpine. Winter 2005-06. “Forest Law Enforcement and Governance: Resolve Needed from All Sides,” The Georgetown Public Policy Review, Vol. 11, No. 1: 57-67.
- Auer, Matthew R. 2005. “Foreign Aid to Promote Energy Efficiency in Mexico: An Institutional Analysis,” Journal of Energy and Development, Vol. 31, No. 1: 85-100.
- Auer, Matthew R. 2005. “Prospects for Improved Air Quality at the Regional Level in Poland,” European Urban and Regional Studies, Vol. 12, No. 2: 133-148.
- Auer, Matthew R., Karr-Colque, Catherine, and Safiya Samman. 2005. “Taking Stock of the International Arrangement on Forests,” Journal of Forestry, Vol. 103, No. 3: 126-133.