Ph.D., Harvard University, 2009
M.A., Harvard University, 2005
B.A. (summa cum laude), University of Notre Dame, 2001
- Assistant Professor, Indiana University School of Public and Environmental Affairs and Philanthropic Studies, 2010-present
- Adjunct Professor, Indiana University, Department of Sociology, 2010-present
- Harvard College Fellow, Department of Sociology, Harvard University, July 2009 - 2010
Awards, Honors & Certifications
- SPEA Teaching Award, Undergraduate Instruction, 2013
- Certificate of Teaching Excellence, Derek Bok Center for Teaching and Learning, Harvard University, Spring 2010.
- Certificate of Teaching Excellence, Derek Bok Center for Teaching and Learning, Harvard University, Fall 2009.
- Center for American Political Studies, Harvard University, Dissertation Completion Fellowship, 2008 - 2009
- Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Harvard University, Dissertation Completion Fellowship, 2008 - 2009
Civil society, voluntary associations, civic engagement, social capital
Center on Philanthropy, Indiana University. Research Grant: “Civic Development in Associational Context: Practicing Civic Skills and Expanding Civic Identity among College Students.” 2011-12.
Full Vita (pdf)
- Baggetta, M., Han, H., and Andrews, K. Forthcoming. “Leading Associations: How Individual Characteristics and Team Dynamics Generate Committed Leaders.” American Sociological Review.
- Han, H., Andrews, K., Ganz, M., Baggetta, M., and Lim, C. 2011. “The Relationship of Leadership Quality to the Political Presence of Civic Associations.” Perspectives on Politics. 9(1):45-59.
- Baggetta, M., Lim, C., Han, H., Andrews, K., and Ganz, M. 2011 "Learning Civic Leadership: Leader Skill Development in the Sierra Club." Pp. 110-138 in Interest Group Politics (8th Edition). Cigler, A. and Loomis. B., (editors). Washington, D.C.: CQ Press
- Andrews, K., Ganz, M., Baggetta, M., Han, H., Lim, C. 2010. "Membership, Leadership, and Voice: Civic Associations that Work." American Journal of Sociology, 115(4).
- Baggetta, M. 2009. "Civic Opportunities in Associations: Interpersonal Interaction, Governance Experience, and Institutional Relationship." Social Forces, 88(1).