A. James Barnes
J.D., (Cum Laude), Harvard University, 1967
B.A., (with High Honors), Michigan State University, 1964
- Professor, Indiana University Maurer School of Law
- Dean, School of Public and Environmental Affairs, 1988-2000
- Visiting Professor of Law, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, 2000-2001
- Deputy Administrator, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, D.C, 1985-1988
- General Counsel, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, D.C., 1983-1985
- General Counsel, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Washington, D.C., 1981- 1983
- Partner, Beveridge, Fairbanks & Diamond, Washington, D.C., 1977-1981
- Associate, Beveridge, Fairbanks & Diamond, Washington, D.C., 1975-1976
- Adjunct Professor, School of Business Administration, Georgetown University, 1975-1981
- Campaign Manager, Governor William G. Milliken, Lansing, Michigan, 1974
- Assistant to Deputy Attorney General, U.S. Department of Justice, Washington, D.C., 1973
- Assistant to Administrator, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Washington, D.C., 1970-1973
- Trial Attorney and Special Assistant to Assistant Attorney General, Civil Division, U.S. Department of Justice, Washington, D.C., 1969-1970
Awards, Honors & Certifications
- Fellow, American College of Environmental Lawyers
- Fellow, National Academy of Public Administration
- Trustees Teaching Award, IU School Of Law, 2005
- Sagamore of the Wabash, 2000
- Class of 1969 Distinguished Teaching Award
Environmental law, domestic and international environmental policy, ethics and the public official, mediation and alternative dispute resolution, law and public policy
- Book in process --History of the Environmental Protection Agency (1970-2010)
- Member, Department of Energy’s Environmental Management Advisory Board (EMAB)
- Mallor, Barnes, Bowers and Langvardt, Business Law: The Ethical, Global and E-Commerce Environment (15th edition, 2012) McGraw-Hill.
- Mallor, Barnes, Bowers and Langvardt, Business Law: The Ethical, Global and E-Commerce Environment (14th edition, 2009) McGraw-Hill.
- Barnes, Richard and Dworkin, Law for Business (11th edition, 2011) McGraw-Hill.
- Barnes, A. James, “Implementing Presidential Policy Agendas Administratively: A View from the Inside,” Public Administration Review, (July/August 2009).
- National Academy of Administration Panel Report: Executive Staffing at the Department of Homeland Security (2008).
- National Academy of Public Administration Panel Report: Institutional Options for Developing a National System of Environmental Indicators (2007).
- National Academy of Public Administration Panel Report: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Priority-Setting for Water Resource Construction Projects (2007).
- Expert Report, Review of the Wastewater Permit for the BP-Whiting Refinery on Lake Michigan undertaken at the request of Governor Daniels (2007).