Ph.D. Candidate, University of Michigan, (Expected 2014)
M.S., University of Maryland, 1998
B.A., University of North Carolina, 1995
- Clinical Assistant Professor, School of Public and Environmental Affairs, Indiana University, 2011 to present
- Director, Center for Survey Research, Indiana University, 2011 to present
- Director, Statistics and Methodology Unit, Survey Research Center, University of Michigan, July 2010 - August 2011
- Survey Director, Survey Research Center, University of Michigan, January 2010 - June 2010
- Fellow, Nielsen Media Research, August 2006 – August 2009
- Research Associate, Survey Research Center, University of Michigan, January 2004 - August 2005
- Operations Director, Survey Research Unit, University of North Carolina, June 1999 - December 2003
- Data Collection Director, Survey Research Unit, University of North Carolina, June 1998 - June 1999
- Associate Survey Methodologist, RTI International, September 1997 - June 1998
- Consulting Statistician, United Way of America, May 1997 - October 1997
Awards, Honors & Certifications
Recipient, Charles Cannell Fund in Survey Methodology Award, Survey Research Center, University of Michigan, 2010-2011
Survey methodology, human resource management including management of contingent employees, positive organizational scholarship
- An Investigation of the Effect of Interviewer Job Attitudes on Turnover and Job Performance in US and Canadian Survey Research Call Centers
- Investigating the Effect of the Survey Interview Setting on Measurement Error and Nonresponse Error in School-Based Surveys
- Using Interviewer Observations Related to the Interview Process for Measurement Error and Nonresponse Error Adjustment
- Beth Gazley and Ashley Bowers, 2013. "What Makes High-Performing Boards: Effective Governance Practices in Member-Serving. ASAE Association Management Press.
- Hansen, S.E., Benson, G., Bowers, A., Pennell, B-E., Lin, Y., and B. Duffey. (2010). “Survey Quality.” In Cross-Cultural Survey Guidelines (Chapter 2). Retrieved from http://ccsg.isr.umich.edu/quality.cfm
- Alcser, K., Antoun, C., Bowers, A., Clemens, J., and C. Lien. (2010). “Ethical Considerations in Surveys.” In Cross-Cultural Survey Guidelines (Chapter 3). Retrieved from http://ccsg.isr.umich.edu/ethics.cfm
- Pennell, B.E., Mneimneh, Z., Bowers, A., Chardoul, S., Wells, E., Viana, M.C., Dinkelmann, K., Gebler, N., Florescu, S., He, Y., Huang, Y., Tomov, T., and G. Vilagut. (2008). “Implementation of the World Mental Health Survey Initiative.” In Kessler, RC & Ustun, TB (eds). The World Mental Health Survey Initiative Volume One: Patterns of Mental Illness in the WMH Surveys. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Groves, R.M., Brick, J.M., Couper, M., Kalsbeek, W., Harris-Kojetin, B., Kreuter, F., Pennell, B., Raghunathan, T., Schouten, B., Smith, T., Tourangeau, R., Bowers, A., Jans, M., Kennedy, C., Levenstein, R., Olson, J., Peytcheva, E., Ziniel, S., and J. Wagner. (2008). “Issues Facing the Field: Alternative Practical Measures of Representativeness of Survey Respondent Pools.” Survey Practice, October 2008. http://surveypractice.org/2008/10/30/issues-facing-the-field/.
- Bandyk, J. and A. Bowers. (2006). Learning Mathematics for Teaching - A Survey of Middle School Teachers of Mathematics, Winter 2006: Final Report Prepared for the School of Education by the Institute for Social Research.
- Mike, D. and A. Bowers. (2005). Learning Mathematics for Teaching - A Survey of Middle School Teachers of Mathematics, Spring 2005: Final Report Prepared for the School of Education by the Institute for Social Research.
- Pennell, B., Bowers, A., Carr, D., Chardoul, S., Cheung, G., Dinkelmann, K., Gebler, N., Hansen, S.E., Pennell, S., and M. Torres. (2004). "The Development and Implementation of the National Comorbidity Survey Replication, the National Survey of American Life, and the National Latino and Asian American Survey." International Journal of Methods in Psychiatric Research, 13(4): 241-269.
- Berner, M., Bowers, A., and L. Heyman. (2002). "So You Want to Do a Survey..." Popular Government, 67: 23-32.
- Bowers, A. and B. Vaughn. (2000). "Making the Transition to a Windows-Based CATI System." National Network of State Polls Newsletter, 40: 1-4.
- Groves, R.M., Singer, E., Corning, A., and A. Bowers. (1999). "A Laboratory Approach to Measuring the Effects on Survey Participation of Interview Length, Incentives, Differential Incentives, and Refusal Conversion." Journal of Official Statistics, 15: 251-268.