Jennifer N. Brass
Ph.D., University of California at Berkeley, 2010
M.A., University of California at Berkeley, 2004
B.S. (Magna Cum Laude), Georgetown University, 1999
- Indiana University School of Public and Environmental Affairs, Assistant Professor, 2010 to present
- Affiliated Faculty, Workshop in Political Theory and Policy Analysis
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Political Science
- Faculty, African Studies Program
- Faculty, Center on Philanthropy
Awards, Honors & Certifications
- International Society for Third-Sector Research (ISTR). Emerging Scholar Award of Merit. Dissertation award presented at the 10th bi-annual international conference, July 2012.
- African Politics Conference Group, Winner of the inaugural APCG Lynne Rienner Award for Best Dissertation in African Politics, 2009-2010. Awarded at APSA 2011.
- Mitsui Environmental Fund. Mitsui Environment Fund Fiscal 2010 Research Grant, 2011-2012.
- Sustainability Research Development Grant, Indiana University Office of Sustainability, 2011-2012.
- Dissertation-Year Award, UC Berkeley, 2009-2010.
- Rocca Scholarship in Advanced African Studies, UC Berkeley, 2008-2009.
- Graduate Division, UC Berkeley, Dean’s Normative Time Fellowship, 2006-2007.
- National Science Foundation, Graduate Research Fellowship (three years), 2004-2007.
- Georgetown University, ‘Africa Medal’ for outstanding undergraduate thesis, 1999.
African politics, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), energy and international development, comparative public administration, governance, civil society, political economy of development
Full Vita (pdf)
- Jennifer N. Brass, Sanya Carley, Lauren M. MacLean and Elizabeth Baldwin. 2012. “Power for Development: A Review of Distributed Generation Projects in the Developing World.” Annual Review of Environment & Resources, 37: 107-36.
- Brass, Jennifer N. 2012. "Blurring Boundaries: The Integration of NGOs into the Governance of Kenya." Governance. 25:2, 209-235.
- Brass, Jennifer N. 2012. “Why Do NGOs Go Where They Go? Evidence from Kenya.” World Development. 40:2, 387-401.
- David K. Leonard, Jennifer N. Brass, Michael Nelson, Sophal Ear, Dan Fahey, Tasha Fairfield, Martha Johnson Gning, Michael Halderman, Brendan McSherry, Devra C. Moehler, Wilson Prichard, Robin Turner, Tuong Vu and Jeroen Dijkman. 2010. “Does Patronage Still Drive Politics for the Rural Poor in the Developing World? A Comparative Perspective from the Livestock Sector.” Development & Change. 41:3, 475-494.
- Brass, Jennifer, 2008. “Djibouti’s Unusual Resource Curse.” Journal of Modern African Studies. 46:4, 523-545.
- Brass, Jennifer, 2007. “The Political Economy of Livestock Policy: The Case of Djibouti.” Addis Ababa and Djibouti: Intergovernmental Authority on Development Livestock Policy Initiative.
- Brass, Jennifer with Brendan McSherry, 2007. “The Political Economy of Pro-Poor Livestock Policy Reform in Kenya.” Addis Ababa and Djibouti: Intergovernmental Authority on Development Livestock Policy Initiative.