John D. Graham
Ph.D., Carnegie-Mellon University, 1983
M.A, Duke University, 1980
B.A., Wake Forest University, 1978
- Dean, School of Public and Environmental Affairs, Indiana Univeristy, 2008 to present
- Dean, The Pardee RAND Graduate School, RAND Corporation, 2006-2008
- Administrator, Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, US Office of Management and Budget, Executive Office of the President, 2001-2006
- Founding Director, Center for Risk Analysis, Harvard School of Public Health, 1989-2001
- Deputy Chairman, Department of Health Policy and Management, Harvard School of Public Health, 1987-1992
- Staff Associate, Committee on Risk and Decision Making, National Research Council/National Academy of Sciences, Washington D.C., 1979-1981
Awards, Honors & Certifications
- Member, International Advisory Board of Germany’s Helmholtz-Programme “Technology, Innovation and Society “(2010 to present)
- Member, Administrative Conference of the United States (2011 to present)
- Chairperson, Regulatory Occupations Evaluation Committee (ROEC), State of Indiana (2010 to present).
- Member, The B. John Garrick Foundation for the Advancement of the Risk Sciences Advisory Board (2010 to present).
- Member, Dow AgroSciences Advisory Committee (2010 to present).
- Member, American Chemistry Society (2008 to present).
- Member, Board of Scholars, American Council for Capital Formation (1995-2000 & 2007 to present).
- Member, Scientific and Technology Council, International Risk and Governance Council, Geneva, Switzerland (2008 to present).
- Distinguished Lifetime Achievement Award, Society for Risk Analysis, 2008
- Member of the Scientific and Technology Council, International Risk and Governance Council, Geneva, Switzerland, 2008 to present
- Member of the Board, International Risk and Governance Council, Geneva, Switzerland, 2006 - 2008
- Member, Committee on the Status and Future of Federal e-Rulemaking, 2008
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Panel, Green Chemistry Initiative, State of California, 2007 – 2008
- Alumni Merit Award, Carnegie Mellon University, 2002
- Member, National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurement, 1997-2001
- Member, Public Health Policy Advisory Board, 1997-2001
- Member, Board of Scholars, American Council for Capital Formation Center for Policy Research, 1995-2001
- Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Risk Research, 1990-2001
- Member, Editorial Board, Risk: Health, Safety and Environment, 1990-2001
- Member, Editorial Board, Risk Analysis: An International Journal, 1989-2001 and 2008 to present
- Member, Editorial Board, Injury Control and Safety Promotion, 1999
- Member, Editorial Board, Accident Analysis and Prevention: An International Journal, 1990-1999
- Annapolis Center Annual Public Service Award for Achievements in Risk Communication to the American People, 1998
- President, the Society for Risk Analysis, 1995-1996
Government reform, energy and the environment, and the future of the automobile in both developed and developing countries
Full Vita | Biographical Sketch
- Kristin Seefeldt and John D. Graham, America’s Poor and the Great Recession, Indiana University Press, Bloomington, IN (2012).
- Liu, Ying, Zhang, Wei, Garber, Steven, Graham, John D., “Potential Health and Financial Benefits from Reduced Salt Intake in the Chinese Adult Population” under review, 2012.
- Hajiamiri, Sara, Graham, John D., “Consumer Preferences for Vehicle Performance, Size, and Fuel Economy: A Revealed-Preference Approach”, submitted for publication and currently under review, 2012.
- Krutilla, Kerry and Graham, John D., “Are Green Vehicles Worth the Extra Cost? The Case of Diesel-Electric Hybrid Technology for Urban Delivery Vehicles”, Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, Volume 31, Number 3, Summer 2012, pp. 501-532.
- Seefeldt, Kristin, Abner, Gordon, Bolinger, Joel, Xu, Lanlan, Graham, John D., “At Risk: America’s Poor During and After the Great Recession”, SPEA, IU, January 2012.
- Abelkop, Adam, Graham, John D., Wise, Lois R., “Lessons from the EU’s REACH Program, Vol. 2(2) European Journal of Risk Regulation, February 2011, pp. 181-182.
- Fernandez, Sergio & Graham, John, “Reform of Public Organizations: How to Induce More Proactive Responses to Emerging Risks”, Paper presented at the International Risk Governance Council’s Workshop on Emerging Risks, December 16 & 17, 2010. Rüschlikon, Switzerland.
- John D. Graham, “Why Governments Need Guidelines for Risk Assessment and Management”, Risk and Regulatory Policy: Improving the Governance of Risk, OECD Reviews of Regulatory Reform, 2010, pp. 237-246.
- Graham, John D., “Bush on the Home Front: Domestic Policy Triumphs and Failures,” Indiana University Press, Bloomington, IN, 2010.
- Graham, John D., Olmstead, Sarah, "Is There a Universal Precautionary Principle?" Controversies in Globalization, edited by Peter M. Haas, John A. Hird and Beth McBratney, CQ Press, Washington, D.C. 2009, pp. 115-12
- Keefe, Ryan, Griffin, Jay, Graham, John D., “The Benefits and Costs of New Fuels and Engines for Light-Duty Vehicles in the United States,” Risk Analysis, Volume 28, No. 5, 2008, pp. 1141-1154
- Graham, John D., “Saving Lives through Administrative Law and Economics,” University of Pennsylvania Law Review, Volume 157 (2), December 2008, pp. 395-540
- Graham, John D., Wiener, Jonathan B., “The Precautionary Principle and Risk-Risk Tradeoffs: A Comment,” Journal of Risk Research, Volume 11(4), December 2008, pp. 465-474
- Graham, John D., Wiener, Jonathan B., “Empirical Evidence for Risk-Risk Tradeoffs: A Rejoinder to Hansen and Tickner,” Journal of Risk Research, Volume 11(4), December 2008, pp. 485-490
- Graham, John D., Noe, Paul, “Due Process and Management for Guidance Documents: Good Governance Long Overdue,” Yale Journal on Regulation, Volume 25(1), Winter 2008, pp. 103-112
- Graham, John D., Montoya, Silvia, “Modernizing the Federal Government: Paying for Performance,” RAND Publications, OP-213-PV/EMR, 2007
- Epstein, Diana, Graham, John D., “Polarized Politics and Policy Consequences,” RAND Publications, OP-197-PV/EMR, 2007
- Keefe, Ryan, Graham, John D., Griffin, Jay, “The Benefits and Costs of New Fuels and Engines for Cars and Light Trucks,” RAND Publications, WR-537-PRGS, 2007
- Graham, John D., Hu, Jianhui, “The Risk-Benefit Balance in the United States: Who Decides?” Health Affairs, Volume 26(3), May-June. 2007, p. 625-635
- Brown, Elizabeth, Graham, John D., “Leading the Executive Branch: Strategies and Options for Achieving Success,” RAND Publications, OP-181-PV-MR, 2007
- Graham, John D., “The Evolving Regulatory Role Of The U.S. Office Of Management And Budget,” Review of Environmental Economics and Policy, Vol.1(2), 2007, pp. 171-191
- Graham, John D., “Valuing the Future: OMB’s Refined Position,” The University of Chicago Law Review, Volume 74, Winter 2007 pp. 51-57
- Graham, John D., Paul R. Noe, Elizabeth L. Branch, “Managing the Regulatory State: The Experience of the Bush Administration,” Fordham Urban Law Journal, Volume 33(4), 2006, pp. 953-1002