Ph.D., Indiana University, 1995
B.A., (Magna Cum Laude) University of California, Irvine, 1990
- Professor, School of Public and Environmental Affairs, Indiana University, 2010-
- Associate Professor, School of Public and Environmental Affairs, Indiana University, 2005-2010
- Associate Professor, University of North Texas, 2001-2005
- Assistant Professor, University of North Texas, 1995-2001
- Consultant, Democratic Parliamentary Strengthening Program in Ukraine and Crimea, Indiana University and United States Agency for International Development, 2010
- Subject Matter Expert, Enhanced Capability Team, U.S. Joint Forces Command, Department of Defense, Joint Urban Operations Office, 2008
- Instructor, Joint Leadership Development Program, Office of the Director of National Intelligence, 2008
- Evaluator, Columbus Metro High School, Columbus, Ohio, 2008
Awards, Honors & Certifications
- Fellow, National Academy of Public Administration, 2012
- Haldane Award for Best Article in Public Administration, 2011
- Trustees Teaching Award, Indiana University, 2007, 2008, 2011
- SPEA Teaching Award, Graduate Instruction, 2008
- Finalist, Networks and Public Management Syllabus Competition, Smith Richardson Foundation (with Beth Gazley, Indiana University), 2007
- Louis Brownlow Book Award, (co-authored with Robert Agranoff, Indiana University), the National Academy of Public Administration, 2003
- Pi Alpha Alpha, 1995
- Magna Cum Laude, University of California, Irvine, 1990
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1990
- Pi Sigma Alpha, 1990
Intergovernmental and interorganizational collaboration and networks, federalism and intergovernmental relations, public management
- Managing Editor, Public Administration Review
- Understanding Interoperability in Collaborative Management
- Leading Outward: A Study of the Attempts of Nonprofit Leaders to Influence Public Policy
- Identifying and Assessing Collaborative Leadership Behavior
- Fyall, Rachel Krefetz, and Michael McGuire. 2012. The Role of Advocacy in Networks. PUBLIC, Esade. Volume 27.
- McGuire, Michael. 2012. A Look behind the Scenes. Public Administration Review 72(2): 171-172.
- McGuire, Michael (forthcoming 2013). Challenges of Intergovernmental Management. Journal of Health and Human Services Administration.
- McGuire, Michael, and Robert Agranoff. (forthcoming). Network Management Behaviors: Closing the Theoretical Gap. In Network Theory in the Public Sector: Building New Theoretical Frameworks, edited by Robyn Keast, Myrna Mandell, and Robert Agranoff. New York: Taylor and Francis.
- Agranoff, Robert, Michael McGuire, and Chris Silvia. 2012. Governance, Networks and Intergovernmental Systems. In Routledge Handbook of Public Policy, edited by Ed Araral, Scott Fritzen, Michael Howlett, M. Ramesh, and Wu Xun. London: Routledge.
- McGuire, Michael, and Robert Agranoff. 2011. The Limitations of Public Management Networks. Public Administration 89(2): 265-284.
- McGuire, Michael, Robert Agranoff, and Chris Silvia. 2011. Collaborative Public Management, Foundations of Public Administration Series, Public Administration Review.
- McGuire, Michael. 2011. Network Management. In Sage Handbook of Governance, edited by Mark Bevir. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 436-453.
- McGuire, Michael, and Debra Schneck. 2010. What if Hurricane Katrina Hit in 2020? The Need for Strategic Management of Disasters. Public Administration Review 70(s1):s201-s207.
- McGuire, Michael, Beth Gazley, and Jeffrey Brudney. 2010. The “New Emergency Management”: Applying the Lessons of Collaborative Governance to 21st Century Emergency Planning. In The Future of Public Administration around the World: The Minnowbrook Perspective, edited by Rosemary O’Leary, David Van Slyke, and Soonhee Kim. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press.
- McGuire, Michael, and Robert Agranoff. 2010. Networking in the Shadow of Bureaucracy. In The Oxford Handbook of American Bureaucracy, edited by Robert Durant. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 372-395.
- Silvia, Chris, and Michael McGuire. 2010. Leading Public Sector Networks: An Empirical Examination of Integrative Leadership Behaviors. The Leadership Quarterly 21(2): 264-277.
- McGuire, Michael, and Chris Silvia. 2010. The Effect of Problem Severity, Managerial and Organizational Capacity, and Agency Structure on Intergovernmental Collaboration: Evidence from Local Emergency Management. Public Administration Review 70(2): 279-288.
- McGuire, Michael, and Chris Silvia. 2009. Does Leadership in Networks Matter? Examining the Effect of Leadership Behavior on Managers’ Perceptions of Network Effectiveness. Public Performance and Management Review 33(1): 34-62.
- McGuire, Michael. 2009. The New Professionalism and Collaborative Activity in Local Emergency Management. In The Collaborative Public Manager, edited by Rosemary O'Leary and Lisa Blomgren Bingham. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press, 71-93.
- McGuire, Michael. 2006. Collaborative Public Management: Assessing What We Know and How We Know It. Public Administration Review 66(s1): 33-43.
- Agranoff, Robert, and Michael McGuire. 2003. Collaborative Public Management: New Strategies for Local Governments. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press. (2003 Louis Brownlow Book Award, National Academy of Public Administration)