Vicky J. Meretsky
Ph.D., University of Arizona, 1995
M.Sc., (Statistics), University of Arizona, 1993
M.Sc., (Wildlife Ecology), Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA, 1988
B.Sc., Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 1980
- Professor, Indiana University, School of Public and Environmental Affairs
- Adjunct Professor, Indiana University, Biology Department
- Affiliate Professor, Indiana University, Maurer School of Law
- Adjunct faculty, Northern Arizona University; 1996-2001
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- University of Arizona, 1989-1994
- Humboldt Foundation, Arcata, California, 1983–1984
- Humboldt State University, 1981-1983
- Cornell University, 1978-1980
Awards, Honors & Certifications
- Trustees Teaching Award, Indiana University, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Faculty Colloquium on Excellence in Teaching, 2011
Landscape-level conservation, conservation under climate change, ecology and management of rare species, integrating ecosystem research and endangered species management within adaptive management
- Conservation planning on the national wildlife refuges (with Professor Robert Fischman, Maurer School of Law)
- Planning for climate change on the national wildlife refuges (with Professor Robert Fischman, Maurer School of Law)
- Obstacles to forward-looking planting and restoration (with SPEA students and Dr. Charles Michler, Purdue University Department of Forestry
- US-Russia Global Environmental Issues Research and Study Program (Foundation for the Improvement of Post-Secondary Education, $400,000, 2010-2013)
Full Vita (pdf)
- Meretsky, V.J., L.A. Maguire, F.W. Davis, D.M. Stoms, J.M. Scott, D. Figg, D. Goble, D.B. Griffith, S.E. Henke, J. Vaughn, and S.L. Yaffee. 2012. A state-based national network for effective wildlife conservation. BioScience 62:970-976.
- Hellmann, J.H., V.J. Meretsky, and J.S. McLachlan. 2012. Strategies for reducing extinction risk under a changing climate. Chapter 17 in Hannah, L. (ed). Saving a Million Species: Extinction Risk From Climate Change. Island Press.
- Farmer, J.R., D. Knapp, V.J. Meretsky, C. Chancellor, and B.C. Fischer. 2011. Motivations influencing the adoption of conservation easements. Conservation Biology 25:827-834.
- Meretsky, V.J., J.W. Atwell, and J.B. Hyman. 2011. Migration and conservation: frameworks, gaps, and synergies in science, law, and management. Environmental Law 41:447-534.
- Tepe, T.L., and V.J. Meretsky. 2010. Forward-looking restoration under climate change: are US nurseries ready? Restoration Ecology [In press]
- Meretsky, V.J., V. Brack, Jr., T.C. Carter, R. Clawson, R.R. Currie, T.A. Hemberger, C.J. Herzog, A.C. Hicks, J.A. Kath, J.R. MacGregor, R.A. King, and D.H. Good. 2010. Digital photography improves consistency and accuracy of bat counts in hibernacula. Journal of Wildlife Management 74(1):166-173
- Brittain, R, V. Meretsky, J. Gwinn, J. Hammond, and J. Riegel. 2009. Northern saw-whet owl (Aegolius acadicus) autumn migration magnitude and demographics in south-central Indiana. Journal of Raptor Research 43(3):199-209
- Meretsky, V.J. 2008. Mechanisms of change in seep/spring plant communities on the Colorado Plateau. Pp. 211-209 in L.E. Stevens and V.J. Meretsky, (eds.), Aridland springs in North America: ecology, and conservation. University of Arizona Press, Tucson, AZ
- L.E. Stevens and V.J. Meretsky. 2008. Aridland springs in North America: ecology, and conservation. University of Arizona Press, Tucson, AZ
- L.E. Stevens and V.J. Meretsky. 2008. Springs ecosystem ecology and conservation. Pp. 3-10 in L.E. Stevens and V.J. Meretsky, eds. Aridland springs in North America: ecology, and conservation. University of Arizona Press, Tucson, AZ.
- Meretsky, V.J., R.L. Fischman, J.R. Karr, D.M. Ashe, J.M. Scott, R.F. Noss, and R.L. Schroeder. 2006. New Directions in Conservation for the National Wildlife Refuge System. BioScience 55(2)131-139
- Meretsky, V. 2005. Biodiversity conservation: risk assessment and management. In Proceedings of the Azerbaijan National Man and the Biosphere Committee. UNESCO
- VanWey, L.K., E. Ostrom, and V. Meretsky.2005. Theories underlying the study of human-environment interactions. Pp. 23-56 in E.F. Moran and E.Ostrom (eds.), Seeing the Forest and the Trees: Human-Environment Interactions in Forest Ecosystems. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA
- Fischman, R.L., and V.J. Meretsky. 2004. Managing biological integrity, diversity, and environmental health in the National Wildlife Refuges: an introduction to the symposium. Natural Resources Journal 44(4): 931-942
- Parker, Dawn C., and Vicky J. Meretsky. 2004. Measuring pattern outcomes of an agent-based model of edge-effect externalities using spatial metrics. Agriculture, Ecosystems, and Environment 101:233-250
- Timm, A. and V.J. Meretsky. 2004. Anuran habitat use on abandoned and reclaimed mining areas of Southwestern Indiana. Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science 113(2): 140-146