Ph.D. Economics of Education, Stanford University, 2005
M.A. Economics, Stanford University, 2003
B.S. Business Administration, University of Southern California, 2001
B.A. Economics, University of Southern California, 2001
Current Vita pdf
- Associate Professor, School of Public and Environmental Affairs, Indiana University-Bloomington, 2013 -
- Assistant professor, School of Public and Environmental Affairs, Indiana University-Bloomington, 2009-2013
- Adjunct Assistant Professor of Economics, Department of Economics, Indiana University-Bloomngton, 2011 -
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Education Leadership and Policy Studies, School of Education, Indiana University-Bloomington, 2010 -
- Affiliated Faculty, Center for Research on Race and Ethnicity in Society, Indiana University-Bloomington, 2012 -
- Post–Doctoral Fellow, Center for Education Policy Analysis (CEPA), Stanford University School of Education, 2007-2009
Awards, Honors & Certifications
- Lincoln Institute of Land Policy Scholar, 2014
- Edu-Scholar Public Presence Rankings (ranked among university-based academics who are contributing most substantially to public debates about K-12 and higher education) 2013.
- Indiana University Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty and Academic Affairs. “Indiana University – Bloomington Economics of Education Seminar Series.” Principal Investigator with Cassandra Guarino and Michael Kaganovich. Award amount: $5,000. 2012-2013.
- Scholar-Activist Connect Scholar: Center for Responsible Lending and American Council on Consumer Interests, 2011. Award amount: $1,000.
- SPEA Faculty Teaching Award: Excellence in Graduate Instruction, 2011.
- Emerging Education Policy Scholar: Thomas B. Fordham Institute and American Enterprise Institute, 2010-2011.
- Western Finance Association: Analysis Group Award for the Best Paper on Financial Institutions and Markets, 2010. Award amount: $5,000.
- MacArthur Foundation. “The effects of housing instability on children’s educational outcomes.” Principal Investigator with Vicki Been, Ingrid Gould Ellen, David Figlio, Stephen L. Ross, Amy Ellen Schwartz, and Leanna Stiefel. Award amount: $800,058. 2011-2013.
- Faculty Research Support Program, Indiana University. “Do Children Lose More than a Home? The Effects of Foreclosure on Children’s Educational Outcomes.” Principal Investigator. Award amount: $42,943. 2010-2011.
- Research Seed Grant Program, School of Public and Environmental Affairs, Indiana University. “Do Children Lose More than a Home? The Effects of Foreclosure on Children’s Educational Outcomes.” Award amount: $20,000. 2009-2010.
- National Science Foundation, “Predatory lending, predatory borrowing, and the mortgage crisis: Evidence from loan-level data from a large bank.” Senior consultant and grant coauthor (PIs: Wei Jiang and Edward Vytlacil). Award amount: $624,993. 2009-2011.
Housing finance, education finance, education policy, the mortgage crisis
- Association for Education Finance and Policy (AEFP), 2014
- Association for Education Finance and Policy (AEFP), 2013
- Public Management Research Association (PMRA), 2013
- American Finance Association, 2012
- Southern Economics Association, 2012
- Association for Education Finance and Policy (AEFP), 2011
- Federal Reserve Community Affairs Research Conference, 2011
- American Economics Association(AEA), 2010
- American Education Finance Association(AEFA), 2010
- American Educational Research Association(AERA), 2010
- Moody’s/New York University Annual Credit Risk Conference, 2010
- Western Finance Association(WFA), 2010
- University of British Columbia Summer Finance Conference, 2010
- Urban Institute-Brookings Institution Tax Policy Center and Lincoln Institute of Land Policy: The Housing Crisis and Its Effect on State and Local Government, 2010
- NBER Summer Institute 2010: Working Group on Household Finance, 2010
- Yale Cowles Foundation Advancing Applied Econometrics Conference, 2010
- Econometric Society World Congress, 2010
- FDIC-Federal Reserve System Research Symposium on Mortgage Modifications and the Future of Mortgage Finance, 2010
- Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management (APPAM) Annual Meeting, 2010
- Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management (APPAM) Annual Meeting, 2009
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, Center for Financial Research: Improving Assessment of the Default Risk of Single-Family Mortgages, 2009
- Philadelphia Federal Reserve Bank: Recent Developments in Consumer Credit and Payments, 2009
- NBER Summer Institute 2009: Project on Market Institutions and Financial Market Risk, 2009
- American Education Finance Association (AEFA) Annual Meeting, 2009
- Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management (APPAM) Annual Meeting, 2008
- American Education Finance Association (AEFA) Annual Meeting, 2008
- Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management (APPAM) Annual Meeting, 2007
- American Educational Research Association (AERA) Annual Meeting, 2006
- Comparative and International Education Society (CIES) Annual Meeting, 2003
- Thematic Option Undergraduate Conference, University of Southern California, 1998
Refereed Journal Articles and Book Chapters
Policy Briefs, Reports, and Book Reviews
- Nelson, A.A. (2014). Comment on ‘The future role of the property tax in the funding of K-12 education in the U.S.’ by Andrew Reschovsky. In G.K. Ingram and D.A. Kenyon (Eds.), Education, land, and location. Cambridge, MA: Lincoln Institute for Land Policy.
- Nelson, A.A., & Gazley, B. (2014). The Rise of School-Supporting Nonprofits. Education Finance and Policy, 9(4): 541-566.
- Jiang, W., Nelson, A.A., & Vytlacil, E. (2014). Liar’s loan? Effects of origination channel and information falsification on mortgage delinquency. Review of Economics and Statistics, 96(1): 1-18. Lead article and recipient of the Western Finance Association’s 2010 Analysis Group Award for the Best Paper on Financial Institutions and Markets.
- Nelson, A.A., & Balu, R. (2014). Local government responses to fiscal stress: Evidence from the public education sector. Public Administration Review, 74(5): 601-614.
- McIntire, R.,* Macy, J., Seo, D., Nelson, A.A., & Kolbe, L. (2014). Secondhand smoke exposure in cars and in rooms: Trend comparisons among subpopulations of nonsmoking U.S. middle and high school students. Nicotine and Tobacco Research, 16(6): 663-671.
- Jiang, W., Nelson, A.A., & Vytlacil, E. (2013). Mortgage securitization and loan performance: A contrast of ex ante and ex post relations. Review of Financial Studies, 27(2): 454-483.
- Jiang, W., Nelson, A.A., & Vytlacil, E. (2013). Delinquency model predictive power among low-documentation loans. Economics Letters, 120(2), 171-173.
- Nelson, A.A. (2009). Credit scores, race, and residential sorting. Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, 29(1), 39-68. Republished October, 2010 in the Journal of Policy Analysis and Management Virtual Issue, “Home sweet home: Recent research in housing & community development policy.”
- Nelson, A.A. (September 15, 2013). The kids are all right (sometimes): The housing crisis and children’s academic performance. The Huffington Post.
- Spradlin, T.E., Nelson, A.A., Burch, A.M., Wodicka, C.Y., & Lara, L.M. (forthcoming, 2013). Indiana’s school funding formula equity study 2012. Center for Evaluation and Education Policy.
- Nelson, A.A., & Konechnik, A. (2013). Foreclosure‐Gate and the $25 billion National Mortgage Settlement: Implications for future litigation exposure and taxpayer liability. University of Southern California Lusk Center for Real Estate Research Brief. Retrieved from http://www.usc.edu/schools/price/lusk/research/researchbriefs.html.
- Nelson, A.A. (2012). Review of the book Whither Opportunity? Rising Inequality, Schools, and Children’s Life Chances, by G.J. Duncan and R.J. Murnane, Eds. Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, 31(2).
- Nelson, A.A. (2012). Review of the book School Choice Policies and Outcomes: Empirical and Philosophical Perspectives, by W. Feinberg and C. Lubienski, Eds. Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, 31(2).
- Nelson, A.A. (2012). Review of the book Charter Schools: Hope or Hype? by J. Buckley and M. Schneider. Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, 31(2).
- Nelson, A.A. (2012). Review of the book Taking Measure of Charter Schools: Better Assessments, Better Policymaking, Better Schools, by J.R. Betts and P.T. Hill, Eds. Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, 31(2).
- Nelson, A.A. (2011). Review of the book Saving Schools: From Horace Mann to Virtual Learning by P.E. Peterson. Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, 30(3).
- Nelson, A.A. (2011). Review of the book Subprime Nation: American Power, Global Capital, and the Housing Bubble by H.M. Schwartz. Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, 30(2).
- Nelson, A.A. (2011). Review of the book Animal Spirits: How Human Psychology Drives the Economy, and Why It Matters for Global Capitalism by G.A. Akerlof and R.J. Shiller. Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, 30(2).
- Nelson, A.A. (May, 2010). Bailing out underwater mortgages. School of Public and Environmental Affairs (SPEA) Insights. (Peer‐reviewed.) Retrieved from http://www.indiana.edu/~spea/faculty/policy_briefs/mortgages_nelson.pdf
- 4. Nelson, A.A. (2010). The sound of equal opportunity: Credit and housing access for language minorities. In J. Baugh (ed.), Linguistic profiling in interdisciplinary perspective, Volume 2: Social science and legal dimensions. Final report to the Ford Foundation: Washington University in St. Louis, Program in African and African American Studies, pp. 231-246.