Jessica M. Vogt
M.P.A./M.S.E.S., SPEA, Indiana University, 2012
B.A., Magna Cum Laude, Lawrence University, 2009
- Intern, City of Bloomington Environmental Commission, February 2010-August 2011
- Intern, Indiana University Office of Sustainability, May 2010-August 2010
- Intern, Goodwill Industries of North Central Wisconsin, December 2008-March 2009
Awards, Honors & Certifications
- Recipient, Garden Club of America Urban Forestry Fellowship, 2012
- Member, Pi Alpha Alpha (Public Affairs Honor Society), 2012
- Finalist, Garden Club of America Urban Forestry Fellowship, 2011
- Recipient. Academic Excellence Award, SPEA, April 2011
- Designated SPEA Scholar, 2009-11
- Recipient, Byron Fellowship, May 2010
- Elected Phi Beta Kappa, May 2009
- Recipient, Richard Warch Honor Scholarship, 2005-09
- Recipient, Lawrence Scholarship (National Merit Commended), 2005-09
- Named to Dean’s list, 2005-06, 2006-07, 2007-08, 2008-09
- Member, Mortar Board Senior Honor Society, 2008-09
- Member, Lambda Sigma Sophomore Honor Society, 2006-07
Urban Ecology and Urban Forestry
Indiana University, SPEA Bloomington
Principle investigator, advised by Dr. Burnell C. Fischer April 2011–present
- Collaborator in a project assessing the role of a large number of social-ecological variables (including biophysical/environmental parameters, community characteristics, and institutional/management factors) on the establishment, growth and condition of trees planted by the Indianapolis, IN nonprofit Keep Indianapolis Beautiful, Inc. (KIB)
- Designing long-term research and data collection protocol for use at not only our study site but also other cities with similar tree planting programs around the United States
- Evaluating the Outcomes of Neighborhood Urban Forestry
Reports and White Papers
- Epstein G, Vogt JM, Cox M, Shimek L (In review) Confronting problems of method in the study of sustainability. Submitted to Forest Policy and Economics.
- Sedlock JL, Jose R, Vogt JM, Paguntalan JML, Cariño A (In review) A survey of bats in a karst landscape in the central Phillippines. Submitted to Acta Chiropterologica.
- Mincey SK, Vogt JM (2014) Watering strategy, collective action, and neighborhood-planted trees: An Indianapolis case study. Arboriculture & Urban Forestry, 40(2): 84-95.
- Mincey SK, Hutten M, Fischer BC, Evans T, Stewart S, Vogt JM (2013) Structuring institutional analysis for urban ecosystems: A key to sustainable urban forest management. Urban Ecosystems, 16: 553-571. doi 10.1007/s11252-013-0286-3.
- Epstein G, Vogt JM, Mincey SK, Cox M, Fischer BC (2013) Missing ecology: Integrating ecological perspectives with the social-ecological system framework. International Journal of the Commons, 7(2): 432-453. http://www.thecommonsjournal.org/index.php/ijc/ article/view/371/331 (Winner of the International Journal of the Commons Ostrom Memorial Award for Most Innovative Paper of the Year)
- Vogt JM, Mincey SK, Fischer BC, Patterson M (2013) Planted Tree Re-Inventory Protocol. Version 1.0. Bloomington, IN: Bloomington Urban Forest Research Group at the Center for the Study of Institutions, Population and Environmental Change, Indiana University. 93 pp. http://www.indiana.edu/~cipec/research/bufrg_protocol.php.
- Fischer BC, McClain K, Mincey SK, Myers N, Vogt JM (2012) City of Bloomington Public Tree Inventory - 2012. 18 pp.
- Vogt JM, Fischer BC (2012) Exploring the relationship between the urban forestry and community sustainability programs of Tree City USA municipalities in Indiana. Bloomington Urban Forestry Research Group White Paper. 23 pp. Go here for pdf.