Jessica M. Vogt
M.P.A./M.S.E.S., SPEA, Indiana University, 2012
B.A., Magna Cum Laude, Lawrence University, 2009
- Intern, City of Bloomington Environmental Commission, February 2010-August 2011
- Intern, Indiana University Office of Sustainability, May 2010-August 2010
- Intern, Goodwill Industries of North Central Wisconsin, December 2008-March 2009
Awards, Honors & Certifications
- Recipient, Garden Club of America Urban Forestry Fellowship, 2012
- Member, Pi Alpha Alpha (Public Affairs Honor Society), 2012
- Finalist, Garden Club of America Urban Forestry Fellowship, 2011
- Recipient. Academic Excellence Award, SPEA, April 2011
- Designated SPEA Scholar, 2009-11
- Recipient, Byron Fellowship, May 2010
- Elected Phi Beta Kappa, May 2009
- Recipient, Richard Warch Honor Scholarship, 2005-09
- Recipient, Lawrence Scholarship (National Merit Commended), 2005-09
- Named to Dean’s list, 2005-06, 2006-07, 2007-08, 2008-09
- Member, Mortar Board Senior Honor Society, 2008-09
- Member, Lambda Sigma Sophomore Honor Society, 2006-07
Urban Ecology, Urban Forestry
Indiana University, SPEA Bloomington
Principle investigator, advised by Dr. Burnell C. Fischer April 2011–present
- Co-investigator in a project assessing the role of a large number of social-ecological variables (including biophysical/environmental parameters, community characteristics, and institutional/management factors) on the establishment, growth and condition of trees planted by the Indianapolis, IN nonprofit Keep Indianapolis Beautiful, Inc. (KIB)
- Designing long-term research and data collection protocol for use at not only our study site but also other cities with similar tree planting programs around the United States
- Vogt, J.M. & B.C. Fischer. (Forthcoming) Exploring the relationship between urban forestry and community sustainability programs: A case study of 67 Indiana Tree Cities USA.
- Vogt, J.M., S.K. Mincey, M. Patterson & B.C. Fischer. 2012. (Accepted) Predicting urban tree success: Establishment, maintenance, growth and condition of neighborhood-initiated tree plantings. International Society of Arboriculture 2012 Annual International Conference and Trade Show, August 11-15, 2012, Portland, OR. (Oral Presentation and Conference Proceedings)
- Vogt, J.M., S.K. Mincey, & B.C. Fischer. 2012. (Accepted) Evaluating the biophysical and social results of Keep Indianapolis Beautiful’s urban tree plantings as a social-ecological system. Life on Earth: Preserving, Utilizing and Sustaining our Ecosystems: 97th Annual Meeting of the Ecological Society of America, August 5-10, 2012, Portland, OR. (Oral Presentation and Conference Proceedings)
- Vogt, J.M., S.K. Mincey, M. Patterson, & B.C. Fischer. 2012. Predicting urban tree success: Modeling tree growth in neighborhood-initiated tree plantings. Disturbed Environments - Ecological Impact & Management: Mid-Atlantic Chapter, Ecological Society of America, Annual Meeting, April 14-15, 2012, Blacksburg, VA.
- Epstein, G. & J.M.Vogt. 2012. Ecological gaps in forest commons research: Exploring the implications of missing ecological variables. Association of SPEA PhD Students Conference, March 23, 2012, Bloomington, IN. (Oral Presentation)
- Vogt, J.M., S.K. Mincey, M. Patterson, & B.C. Fischer. 2012. Predicting survival, growth, and condition of community-planted street trees in Indianapolis, IN. Women in Science Research Conference 2012, March 9, 2012, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN. (Poster Presentation)
- Vogt, J.M., S.K. Mincey, & B.C. Fischer. 2011. Establishment & Growth of Community-Planted Street Trees in Indianapolis, IN: Presentation of a Data Collection Methodology and Preliminary Results Urban Tree Growth: An International Meeting & Research Symposium, September 12-13, 2011, The Morton Arboretum, Lisle, IL. (Poster Presentation and Conference Proceedings)
- Mincey, S.K., R.M. Krause, & J.M. Vogt. 2010. Tying Local Policy, Management, and Institutional Arrangements to Environmental Outcomes: The Role of Urban Forests in Municipal Sustainability Initiatives. Association for the Advancement of Public Policy and Management 2010 Conference, November 4-6, 2010 Boston, MA. Awarded 2nd place in APPAM poster session.
- Vogt, J.M. & B.C. Fischer. 2010. Tree City USA: A Potential Catalyst for Broader Sustainable Community Initiatives? International Society of Arboriculture 2010 Conference & Trade Show, July 24-27, 2010, Navy Pier Convention Center, Chicago, IL.
- Sedlock, J.L., R. Jose, J. Vogt, L. Paguntalan, & P. Carino. 2009. A survey of bats, caves and cave disturbance on Bohol Island. Wildlife Conservation Society of the Philippines Symposium., April 2009, Baguio, Philippines.
- Sedlock, J.L., R. Jose, J. Vogt, L. Paguntalan, & P. Carino. 2008. A survey of bats, caves and cave disturbance on Bohol Island. 38th North American Bat Research Symposium, October 2008, Scranton, PA.