Ph.D., University of Arizona, 1992
M.Eng., Stevens Institute of Technology, 1988
B.A., University of Rochester, 1972
Major Research Projects and Activities
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Indiana University, Biology Department
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Indiana University, Department of Geological Science
- Berlin Institute of Technology (Technische Universität Berlin), Berlin, Germany, 2008-2009
- Max Planck Institute for Marine Microbiology, Bremen, Germany, 2001-2002
- Swiss Federal Institute for Water Resources and Water Pollution Control (EAWAG), Dübendorf, Switzerland, 1992-1993
- University of Arizona, 1988-1992
- AIG Consultants, Inc, 1983-1988
- Editorial Board - Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 2005 — 2013
- Editorial Advisory Board – ES&T Letters, 2013
- Biogenic coalbed methane production: Determination of chemical compound classes supporting microbial methanogenesis.” American Chemical Society Petroleum Research Fund 2009 — 2011
- “Adaptive response of microbial communities and Fe biomineralization pathways to anaerobic redox cycling of Fe and N in sediments”, NSF Division of Earth Sciences. 2005 — 2009
- “Investigating morphological and isotopic biosignatures of terrestrial iron bacteria – A potential mars analog”. NASA. 2005 — 2009
Awards, Honors & Certifications
- SPEA Undergraduate Teaching Award. 1997
- Indiana University Teaching Excellence Recognition Award (TERA). 1997
- Fulbright Senior Scholar, US State Department, 2001-2002
Environmental microbiology, bioremediation, and biogeochemistry with a focus on the microbial reduction of iron oxides and nitrate, microbial iron oxidation, biotransformation of metals and chlorinated hydrocarbons, anaerobic carbon metabolism in coal beds, and combined microbial:geochemical interactions
- Chakraborty, A., and F. Picardal.(2013) Induction of Nitrate-Dependent Fe(II) Oxidation by Fe(II) in Dechloromonas sp. Strain UWNR4 and Acidovorax sp. Strain 2AN. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 79:748-752.
- Furmann, A., A. Schimmelmann, S. C. Brassell, M. Mastalerz, and F. Picardal. (2013) Chemical compound classes supporting microbial methanogenesis in coal. Chemical Geology 339: 226-241.
- Furmann, A., M. Mastalerz, S. C. Brassell, A. Schimmelmann, and F. Picardal. (2013). Extractability of biomarkers from high- and low-vitrinite coals and its effect on the porosity of coal. International Journal of Coal Geology 107:141-151.
- Chakraborty, A., and F. Picardal. (2013). Neutrophilic, nitrate-dependent, Fe(II) oxidation by a Dechloromonas species. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology 29(4):617-623.
- Ilori, M. O., F. W. Picardal, R. Aramayo, S. A. Adebusoye, O. S. Obayori and M. J. Benedik (2013). Catabolic plasmid specifying polychlorinated biphenyl degradation in Cupriavidus sp. strain SK-4: Mobilization and expression in a pseudomonad. Journal of Basic Microbiology 53: 1-8.
- Nwinyi, O. C., F. W. Picardal, T. T. An and O. O. Amund (2013). Aerobic degradation of naphthalene, fluoranthene, pyrene and chrysene using indigenous strains of bacteria isolated from a former industrial site. Canadian Journal of Pure & Applied Sciences 7(2): 2303-2314.
- Picardal, F. (2012). Abiotic and microbial interactions during anaerobic transformations of Fe and NOx-. Frontiers in Microbiology 3. DOI:10.3389/fmicb.2012.00112.
- Chakraborty, A., Roden, E.E., Schieber, J., and Picardal, F. (2011). Enhanced Growth of Acidovorax sp. Strain 2AN during Nitrate-Dependent Fe(II) Oxidation in Batch and Continuous-Flow Systems. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 77, 8548-8556.
- Coby, A.J., Picardal, F., Shelobolina, E., Xu, H., and Roden, E.E. (2011). Repeated Anaerobic Microbial Redox Cycling of Iron. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 77, 6036-6042.
- Picardal, F.W., Zaybak, Z., Chakraborty, A., Schieber, J., and Szewzyk, U. (2011). Microaerophilic, Fe(II)-dependent Growth and Fe(II) Oxidation by a Dechlorospirillum Species. FEMS Microbiology Letters 319, 51-57.
- Regberg, A., Singha, K., Tien, M., Picardal, F., Zheng, Q., Schieber, J., Roden, E., and Brantley, S.L. (2011). Electrical Conductivity as an Indicator of Iron Reduction Rates in Abiotic and Biotic Systems. Water Resources Research 47, W04509.
- Gößner, A. S., F. Picardal, R. S. Tanner, and Harold L. Drake. (2008). Carbon metabolism of the moderately acid-tolerant acetogen Clostridium Drakei isolated from peat. FEMS Microbiology Letters 287:236-242.
- Strapoc, D., F. W. Picardal, C. Turich, I. Schaperdoth, J. L. Macalady, J. S. Lipp, Y.-S. Lin, T. F. Ertefai, F. Schubotz, K.-U. Hinrichs, M. Mastalerz, and A. Schimmelmann. 2008. Methane-producing microbial community in a coal bed of the Illinois Basin. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 74:2424-2432.
- Adebusoye, S. A., M. O. Ilori, F. W. Picardal, and O. O. Amund. (2008). Extensive biodegradation of polychlorinated biphenyls in Aroclor 1242 and electrical transformer fluid (Askarel) by natural strains of microorganisms indigenous to contaminated African systems. Chemosphere 73:126-132.
- Adebusoye, S. A., F. W. Picardal, M. O. Ilori, and O. O. Amund. 2008. Evidence of aerobic utilization of di-ortho-substituted trichlorobiphenyls as growth substrates by Pseudomonas sp. SA-6 and Ralstonia sp. SA-4. Environmental Microbiology 10(5):1165-1174.
- Adebusoye, Sunday A., Ilori, M. O., Picardal, F. W., and O. O. Amund. (2008) Metabolism of chlorinated biphenyls: Use of 3,3'- and 3,5-dichlorobiphenyl as sole sources of carbon by natural species of Ralstonia and Pseudomonas. Chemosphere 70: 656-663.
- Adebusoye, S. A., F. W. Picardal, M. O. Ilori, O. O. Amund, and C. Fuqua. 2008. Characterization of multiple novel aerobic polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB)-utilizing bacterial strains indigenous to contaminated tropical African soils. Biodegradation 19:145-159.