Ph.D., West Virginia University, 2008
B.S., Wright State University, 2004
West Virginia University, 2005-2008
Awards, Honors & Certifications
- Trustees Teaching Award, Indiana University, 2009, 2013
- Swiger Fellow Supplement Award, West Virginia University, 2004-2008
- Dadisman Graduate Assistant Supplement Award, 2006-2008
- Vickers Doctoral Student Research Paper Award Winner, 2007
- Jon Vilasuso Doctoral Student Publication Award, 2007
- West Virginia University Distinguished Doctoral Student Fellowship, 2007-2008
State and local public finance topics: property taxes; property assessment; local income taxes, zoning, local governance coordination, and tax amnesty programs
- I have several papers forthcoming on the relationship tax amnesty programs have with state and local tax administration, as well as the behavior responses these programs induce.
- Several working papers on school district income taxes, a relatively new phenomenon in local public finance, as well as property reassessments and their impact on property tax revenue.
- "Fiscal Illusion from Property Reassessment? An Empirical Test of the Residual View." (2013). Justin M. Ross and Wenli Yan. National Tax Journal 66(1): 7-32.
- "Fast Money? The Contribution of State Tax Amnesties to Public Revenue Systems." John L. Mikesell and Justin M. Ross. (2012). National Tax Journal 65(3): 529-62.
- "Interjurisdictional Determinants of Property Assessment Regressivity." Justin M. Ross. Forthcoming in Land Economics (February 2012), Vol. 88, Issue 1.
- “Robustness and Vulnerability of Community Irrigation Systems: The Case of the Taos Valley Acequias." Michael E. Cox and Justin M. Ross. (2011). Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 61(3): 254-66.
- "Assessor Incentives and Property Assessment." Justin M. Ross (2011). Southern Economic Journal 77(3): 776-94.
- "Tiebout Competition, Yardstick Competition, and Tax Instrument Choice: Evidence from Ohio School Districts." Joshua C. Hall and Justin M. Ross. (2010). Public Finance Review 38(6): 710-37.
- “The Income Tax Responsiveness of the Rich: Evidence from Free-Agent MLB All-Stars.” Justin M. Ross and Robert R. Dunn. 2007. Contemporary Economic Policy 25(4):639-648