Ph.D., University of British Columbia, 1990
M.A., University of Western Ontario, 1981
B.A., University of British Columbia, 1980
- Director of Strategic Planning, Office of the Executive Vice President for University Academic Affairs, 2014-present
- Adjunct Associate Professor, IN Philanthropic Studies, 2013-present
- Georgia State University, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, 2002–2006
- University of Regina, Canada, Department of Economics, 1989–2002
- University of Tasmania, Australia, Department of Economics, 1987–1989
- St. Francis Xavier University, Canada, Department of Economics, 1982–1984
Fall Semester 2014: AADM Y535 - Arts Administration and the Cultural Sector
Awards, Honors & Certifications
- Academic Leadership Program Fellow, Indiana University, 2010-11
- SPEA Outstanding Graduate Teaching Award, Indiana University, 2009
Cultural economics, policy and administration; nonprofit organizations; tax policy. Current research concerns cultural districts, and tax policy towards nonprofit organizations and charitable donations.
Full Vita (pdf)
For What It's Worth
- “Artists’ Rights”, “Artistic Freedom”, and “Pricing the Arts” In Ruth Towse (ed.) A Handbook of Cultural Economics, Second Edition, (Aldershot: Edward Elgar, 2011).
- “Federal Tax Policy”. In Bruce Seaman and Dennis Young (eds.) Nonprofit Management and Economics: The State of Research (Aldershot: Edward Elgar, 2010).
- “The Creative Class and Economic Growth in Atlanta”. In David Sjoquist (ed.) Past Trends and Future Prospects of the American City: The Dynamics of Atlanta (Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield, 2009).
- "Who Pays? Who Benefits? Who Decides?" Journal of Cultural Economics 32(4)(December 2008): 293-300.
- “Racial Context and Voting over Taxes: Evidence from a Referendum in Alabama” (with Christine H. Roch). Public Finance Review 36(5) (September 2008): 614-634.
- “A Note on the Use and Misuse of the Racial Diversity Index”. Policy Studies Journal 36(3) (August 2008): 445-459.
- “Why Are Nonprofits Exempt from the Corporate Income Tax?” Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly 36(4) (December 2007): 662-75
- “Understanding State Spending on the Arts: 1976-1999” (with Gregory B. Lewis). State and Local Government Review 39(2) (2007): 107-114
- “Government Funding of Nonprofit Organizations” (with Arthur Brooks). In Dennis Young (Ed.) Financing Nonprofits: Bridging Theory and Practice (Lanham: Altamira Press, 2006)
- “Support for Earmarked Public Spending on Culture: Evidence from a Referendum in Metropolitan Detroit.” Public Budgeting and Finance 25(4) (December 2005): 72-85
- “Economic Analysis of Freedom of Expression.” Georgia State University Law Review 21(3) (Spring 2005): 693-719
- “Contingent Valuation and the Public Interest in Privately Owned Cultural Property.” Journal of Arts Management, Law, and Society 34(3) (Fall 2004): 222-34
- “Earmarked Taxes for the Arts: US Experience and Policy Implications.” International Journal of Arts Management 6(3) (Spring 2004): 38-48
- “Culture and Public Finance.” Public Finance and Management 4(1) (2004): 1-20
- “Cultural Diversity and Public Funding of the Arts: A View from Cultural Economics.” Journal of Arts Management, Law, & Society 33(2) (Summer 2003): 85-97
- “Transaction Cost Politics and the National Endowment for the Arts”. Poetics 31(2) (April 2003): 133-150
- “Political Oversight of Arts Councils: A Comparison of Canada and the United States”. International Journal of Cultural Policy 8 (2) (November 2002): 153-65
- “Freedom of Expression and Copyright: An Economic Analysis”. In Ruth Towse (Ed.) Copyright and the Cultural Industries (Aldershot: Edward Elgar, 2002)