Ph.D., University of Kentucky, 2001
B.S., Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1992
Research Associate, Dartmouth College and Dartmouth Medical School, Department of Biology and Center for Environmental Health Sciences, 2001— 2007
Awards, Honors & Certifications
- Named an Outstanding New Environmental Scientist by the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, 2010.
- Invited to deliver keynote address, Daphnia Genomics Consortium meeting, Leuven, Belgium, March 2010 to feature work in our laboratory relating genomic structure and evolved metal tolerance in Daphnia
- Elected to the editorial board of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, January 2010 — 2012.
- New Investigator Awards, Mount Desert Island Biological Laboratory, 2003 — 2005
- Founding member Daphnia Genomics Consortium (http://daphnia.cgb.indiana.edu), 2001
- NIEHS Pre-Doctoral Fellows, 1995 — 1997
Environmental Toxicology, Environmental Genomics, Comparative Physiology
Our current research projects are driven by a desire to discover critical, specific and causative molecular toxicological and disease pathways resulting from complex environmental exposures. We seek to:
- Dissect variation in disease and toxicant response within and between populations.
- Identify the mechanisms and partition the costs of physiological acclimation and long-term population level adaptation to chemical stress, especially metals.
- Elucidate the molecular underpinnings of evolved metal tolerance.
- Understand the causes and phenotypic consequences of gene copy number variation in metal stressed populations.
- Colbourne JK, Pfrender ME, Gilbert D, et al. 2011. "The ecoresponsive genome of Daphnia pulex." Science 331 (6017): 555-561
- De Schamphelaere KAC, Glaholt S, Asselman J, Messiaen M, DeConick D, Janssen CR, Colbourne JK, Shaw JR. 2011. "Will genetic adaptation of natural populations to chemical pollution result in lower or higher tolerance to future climate change?" Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management. 7:141–143.
- Shaw JR, Bomberger JM, VanderHeide J, LaCasse T, Coutermarsh B, Barnaby R, Stanton BA. 2010. "Arsenic inhibits SGK1 activation of CFTR Cl- channels in the gill of the killifish, Fundulus heteroclitus." Aquat Toxicol. 98:157-164.
- Shaw JR, Pfrender ME, Eads BD, Klaper R, Callaghan A, Sibly R, Colson I, Jansen B, Gilbert D, Colbourne JK. 2008. "Daphnia as an emerging model for toxicological genomics." Recent Advances in Experimental Biology, Volume 2: Comparative Toxicogenomics, C Hogstrand and P Kille, eds. Elsevier, London, p.165-219.
- Shaw JR, Colbourne JK, Davey JC, Glaholt SP, Hampton TH, Chen CY, Folt CL, Hamilton JW. 2007. "Gene response profiles for Daphnia pulex exposed to the environmental stressor cadmium reveal novel crustacean metallothioneins." BMC Genomics. 8:477, p.60 (http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2164/8/477); (article flagged as highly accessed with 4422 views between December 21, 2007 and January10, 2010); (article reviewed and recommended by the Faculty of 1000; http://www.f1000biology.com/article/id/1097571).
- Shaw JR, Sato D, VanderHeide J, LaCasse T, Stanton CR, Lankowski A, Stanton SE, Chapline C, Coutermarsh B, Barnaby R, Karlson K, Stanton BA. 2008. "The Role of SGK and CFTR in Acute Adaptation to Seawater in Fundulus heteroclitus." Cell Physiol Biochem. 22:69-78.
- Shaw JR, Jackson, Gabor K, Hand E, Stanton S, Hamilton JW, Stanton BA . 2007. "The influence of exposure history on arsenic accumulation and toxicity in the killifish, Fundulus heteroclitus." Environ Toxicol Chem. 26:2704-2709.
- Shaw, JR, Gabor K, Hand E, Lankowski A, Durant L, Thigodeau R, Stanton CR, Barnaby R, Coutermarsh B, Karlson KH, Sato JD, Hamilton JW, Stanton BA. 2007. "Role of glucocorticoid receptors in acclimation of killifish (Fundulus heteroclitus) to seawater and effects of arsenic." Am J. Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 292:R1052-60.
- Miller DS, Shaw JR, Stanton CR, Barnaby R, Karlson KH, Hamilton JW, Stanton BA.2007. "MRP2 and acquired tolerance to inorganic arsenic in the kidney of killifish (Fundulus heteroclitus)." Toxicol Sci. 97:103-10.
- Colbourne JK, Eads BD, Shaw JR, Bohuski E, Bauer DJ, Andrews J. 2007. "Sampling Daphnia’s expressed genes: preservation, expansion and invention of crustacean genes with reference to insect genomes." BMC genomics. 8:217 (http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2164/8/217)