Ph.D., University of Maryland, College Park, 1999
B.A., Hamilton College, 1994
- Professor, Indiana University School of Public and Environmental Affairs, 2010 to present
- Associate Professor, Department of Policy Analysis and Management, Cornell University, 2008 - 2010
- Assistant Professor, Department of Policy Analysis and Management, Cornell University, 2001 - 2008
- Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, Michigan State University, 2000 - 2001
Awards, Honors & Certifications
- John D. Thompson Prize for Young Investigators, awarded by the Association of University Programs in Health Administration, 2007
- Dissertation Fellowship, Health Care Financing Administration, 1999-2000
- Thomas Watson Fellowship, in Eastern Europe, Aug 1994-May 1995
Health economics and policy—investigates the impact of state and federal regulations attempting to ease the availability of private and public health insurance for vulnerable populations on health insurance, health and labor market outcomes
- Research Associate, National Bureau of Economic Research 2009 – present
- Faculty, Master of Science Program in Clinical Epidemiology and Health Services Research, Weill Graduate School of Medical Sciences, 2007-present
- Research Associate, Center for Economic Studies, Census Bureau, 1999 - present
- Cawley, J., M. Morrisey, and K. Simon. “The Earnings and Consulting Income of U.S. Health Economists: Results from the 2012 Survey of the American Society of Health Economists.” Forthcoming, American Journal of Health Economics.
- Freedman, S. H. Lin and K. Simon. “Public Health Insurance Expansions and Hospital Technology Adoption” conditionally accepted, Journal of Public Economics.
- Simon, K. 2014. "Issues of Private Health Insurance Systems." in Encyclopedia of Health Economics (Anthony Culyer, Editor).
- Abraham, J., P. Karaca-Mandic, and K. Simon. "Is the Medical Loss Ratio a Good Target Measure for Regulation in the Individual Market for Health Insurance?" forthcoming, Health Economics.
- Cawley, J., A. Moriya, and K. Simon. "The Impact of the Macroeconomy on Health Insurance Coverage: Evidence from the Great Recession" forthcoming, Health Economics.
- Peters, E., K. Simon and J. Taber. “Marital Disruption and Health Insurance” (forthcoming), Demography.
- Akosa Antwi, Y., A. Moriya and K. Simon 2013. “Effects of Federal Policy to Insure Young Adults: Evidence from the 2010 Affordable Care Act’s Dependent-Coverage Mandate” American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, 5(4), pp.1-28
- Abraham, J., R. Feldman and K. Simon. Forthcoming. “Did They Come to the Dance?: Insurer Participation in Exchanges” American Journal of Managed Care.
- Lavetti, K., K. Simon and W. White. 2014 “Taxpayer Willingness-to-Pay for Health Insurance Reform: A Contingent Valuation Analysis” Economic Inquiry Volume 52, Issue 3, pages 994–1013, (forthcoming in July 2014).
- Lin,H.,J. Ketcham, N. Rosenquist and K. Simon. 2013. “Financial distress and use of mental health care: Evidence from antidepressant prescription claims” Economics Letters Volume 121, Issue 3, December 2013, Pages 449–453.
- Collins, M., K. Simon and S. Tennyson. 2013. "Drug Withdrawals and the Utilization of Therapeutic Substitutes: The Case of Vioxx," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization Vol 86, Feb 2013, pp.148-168.
- Burkhauser, R. J. Larrimore, and K. Simon. 2013 "Measuring the Impact of Valuing Health Insurance on Levels and Trends in Inequality and How the Affordable Care Act of 2010 Could Affect Them" Contemporary Economic Policy Vol 31, Issue 4, pp.779-794.
- Avery, R., M. Eisenberg, and K. Simon. 2012. “The Impact of Direct-to-Consumer Television and Magazine Advertising on Antidepressant Use”. Journal of Health Economics Sep; 31(5):705-18.
- Parkinson, K., J. Price, K. Simon and S. Tennyson. 2012. “The influence of FDA advisory information and black box warnings on individual use of prescription antidepressants”. Review of Economics of the Household (accepted in April 2012; first published online May 2012).
- Vistnes, J., Zawacki, A., Simon, K. and Taylor, A. 2012. “Declines in Employer-Sponsored Insurance between 2000 and 2008: Examining the Components of Coverage by Firm Size.” Health Services Research. Vol 47, Issue 3 pt1, pp 919-938.
- McInerney, M, and K. Simon. 2012. "The Effect of State Workers Compensation Program Changes on the Use of Federal Social Security Disability Insurance," Industrial Relations Vol551, Issue 1, January, pp.57-88
- Burkhauser, R., J. Larrimore, and K. Simon. 2011. "A “Second Opinion” on the Economic Health of the American Middle Class" Forthcoming, National Tax Journal, December 2011, 64(4)
- Price, Joseph, Joshua Price, and K. Simon. 2011. "Educational Gaps in Medical Care and Health Behavior: Evidence from US Natality Data". Economics of Education Review Vol.30, Issue 5, October, pp. 838-849
- Hoadley, J. and K. Simon. Forthcoming. "Medicare Part D Turns Four: Trends in Plan Design, Enrollment, and the Impact of the Program on Beneficiaries" in Avi Dor edited Advances in Health Economics and Health Services Research Vol. 22.
- DeLeire, T., L. Lopoo and K. Simon. "Medicaid Expansions and Fertility in the United States" Demography, (Forthcoming).
- Price, J., and K. Simon. “Does the Impact of Medical Research on Medical Practice Differ by Patient Socioeconomic Status?” Journal of Health Economics, (Forthcoming).
- Cawley, J., J. Moran and K. Simon “The Impact of Income on the Weight of Elderly Americans” Health Economics, (Forthcoming).
- Mikels, J. A. Reed and K. Simon. 2009. “Older Adults State Lower Willingness to Pay for Choice Than Young Adults” Journal of Gerontology: Psychological Sciences, 64B: 443-446.
- Simon, K., S. Tennyson and J. Hudman. 2009. "Do State Cost Control Policies Reduce Medicaid Prescription Drug Spending?" Risk Management & Insurance Review Vol. 12, No. 1, 39-66.
- Simon, K. and A. Handler. 2008. “Welfare Reform and Insurance Coverage during the Pregnancy Period: Implications for Preconception and Interconception Care” Women’s Health Issues vol 18, issue 6, supplement 1, p.97-106.
- Lhila, A. and K. Simon. 2008. “Prenatal Health Investment Decisions: Does the Child’s Sex Matter?” Demography Vol 45, n.4, November, pp.885-905.
- Reed, A., J. Mikels, and K. Simon. 2008. "Older Adults Prefer Less Choice than Young Adults" Psychology and Aging. Vol 23, Issue 3, (September) pp.671-675.
- Simon, K. 2008. "Data Needs for Policy Research on State-Level Health Insurance Markets", Inquiry, Spring. Vol. 45, Iss. 1; p. 89-98..
- Ketcham, J. and K. Simon. 2008. “Medicare Part D's Effects on Elderly Drug Costs and Utilization” American Journal of Managed Care. November. p14-22.
- Gruber, J., and K. Simon. 2008. "Crowd-Out Ten Years Later: Have Recent Public Insurance Expansions Crowded Out Private Health Insurance?" Journal of Health Economics 27, pp. 201–217.
- Burkhauser, R. and K. Simon. 2008. "Who Gets What from Employer Pay or Play Mandates?" Risk Management and Insurance Review. Vol 11, Issue 1, Pp.75-102.
- Kapur, K., J. Escarce, S. Marquis and K. Simon. 2008. “Where Do The Sick Go? Health Insurance and Employment in Small and Large Firms”. Southern Economic Journal, pp.644–664 Volume 74, Issue 3 (January).