Jeffrey R. White
Ph.D., Syracuse University, 1984
M.S., Rutgers University, 1979
B.A., Gettysburg College, PA, 1977
- Director, Integrated Program in the Environment, Indiana University, 2012 - present
- Co-chair, Indiana University Campus Sustainability Advisory Board, 2010-2012
- Associate Vice Provost for Research, Indiana University, 2006–2009
- Research Integrity Officer, Indiana University, Bloomington, 2007–2009
- Associate Dean, School of Public and Environmental Affairs, Indiana University, 2001–2005
- Visiting Professor, Earth Sciences, Flinders University, Adelaide, Australia, 2001
- Technical Consultant, National Acidic Precipitation Assessment Program (NAPAP), Environmental Protection Agency, 1985-1988.
- Technical Consultant, Arctic Contaminants Research Program, Environmental Protection Agency, 1992–1994.
Awards, Honors & Certifications
- Chair, Biogeosciences Division, American Geophysical Union, International Joint Session, 2007
- Fellow, US Committee on Institutional Cooperation’s Academic Leadership Program, 2005-2006
- Indiana University Faculty Excellence in Teaching Award, 1998
- Trustees Teaching Excellence Recognition Award, 1997, 1998
- School of Public and Environmental Affairs Graduate Teaching Award, 1989
- IU Chapter President, Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society, 1988
- Indiana University Outstanding Young Faculty Award, 1987
Environmental biogeochemistry, climate change, aquatic chemistry, limnology
For a full description of projects, laboratory personnel, and other research activities, click here to visit Dr. White’s research web site.
- Fawn River, IN,” Fawn River Restoration and Conservation Charitable Trust, Nov 2011-Oct 2013, $164,000; Principal Investigators, Jeffrey R. White, Todd V. Royer, Indiana University.
- “Shallow-Borehole Array for Measuring Greenland Emissions of Trace Gases as an Analogue for Methane on Mars,” NASA Astrobiology, May 2011-April 2015, $2,400,000; Principal Investigator, Lisa Pratt; Co-Principal Investigators, Jeffrey R. White, Indiana University, Alexander Pavlov & Paul Mahaffy, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Kris Zacny, Honeybee Robotics Ltd., Lance Christensen, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Tullis Onstott, Princeton University. http://geology.indiana.edu/pratt/getgamm/index.html.
- "An Assessment of Biogenic Nitrous Acid Production in Soil Using Fluorescence In-Situ Hybridization (FISH) and Cavity-Enhanced Absorption Spectroscopy (CEAS)," FRSP, Indiana University, Sept 2011-Aug 2013, $127,000; Principal Investigators, Jonathan D. Raff & Jeffrey R. White, Indiana University.
- “Using Metagenomics and Traditional Ecological Approaches to Assess the Effects of Mycorrhizal Fungal Community Dynamics on Plant Productivity in Warming Boreal Peatlands in Alaska,” CRES, Indiana University, Jan 2011-Dec 2013, $78,314; Principal Investigator, Jim Bever; Co-Principal Investigators, Jeffrey R. White, Ursel Schütte, Haixu Tang, Indiana University.
- “Quantitative Characterization of Bacterial Communities Regulating Acid Neutralization in an AMD Bioreactor at the Blackfoot Reclamation Site,” Indiana Department of Natural Resources, July 2011-June 2013, $102,000; Principal Investigator, Jeffrey R. White, Co-Principal Investigator, Ursel Schütte.
- “Establishment of Sycamore Creek as a CRES Watershed Research Area,” Indiana University, Jan 2010–Dec 2013, $36,635; Principal Investigator, Jeffrey R. White; Co-Principal Investigators, Todd V. Royer, Flynn W. Picardal, Indiana University.
- “Effects of Accelerated Sea Level Rise and Variable Freshwater River Discharge on Ecosystem Services of Freshwater Tidal Floodplain Forests,” Department of Energy, 2008-2012, Principal Investigator, Christopher Craft, Co-Principal Investigators: Jeffrey White, Jeff Ehman, Indiana University.
- “Ecosystem-Atmosphere Exchange of Carbon, Water and Energy over A Mixed Deciduous Forest in the Midwest.” Department of Energy, 2007- 2012, Principal Investigator, Hans Peter Schmid, Co-Principal Investigators: Danilo Dragoni, Indiana University, Sue Grimmond, Indiana University, J.C. Randolph, Indiana University, Jeffrey White, Indiana University.
Full Vita (pdf)
- Tang, J., Zhuang, Q., Shannon R.D. and White, J.R. “Quantifying Wetland Methane Emissions with Process-Based Models of Different Complexities,” Biogeosciences, Vol. 7, 2010, pp. 3817-3837.
- White, J.R., Shannon, R.D., Weltzin, J.F., Pastor, J., and Bridgham, S.D. “Effects of Soil Warming and Drying on Methane Cycling in a Northern Peatland Mesocosm Study,” J. Geophysical Research, Vol. 113, 2008, G00A06, doi:10.1029/2007JG000609.
- Herrman, K.S. and White, J.R. “Denitrification in a Constructed Wetland: Comparison of Mass Balance and Stable Isotopic Methods,” Applied Geochemistry, 2008, doi:10.1016/j.apgeochem.2008.04.024, 2008.
- Keller, J.K., White, J.R., Bridgham, S.D., and Pastor, J. “Climate Change Effects on Carbon and Nitrogen Mineralization in Peatlands through Changes in Soil Quality.” Global Change Biology, Vol. 10, 2004, pp. 1053-1064.
- Avery, B., Shannon, R.D., White, J.R., Martens, C.S., and Alperin, M.J. “Controls on Methane Production in a Tidal Freshwater Estuary and a Peatland: Methane Production via Acetate Fermentation and CO2 Reduction,” Biogeochemistry, Vol. 62, 2002, pp. 19-37.