Lois R. Wise
Ph.D., Indiana University, 1982
M.S., Indiana State University, 1974
B.A., William Paterson College, New Jersey, 1970
Grants, Fellowships, and Awards
- Director, West European Studies
- Director, European Union Center
- University of Arizona
- Northern Arizona University
- Göteborgs University
- University of Örebro
- Umeå University
- National Institute of Justice
- The Swedish Agency for Government Employers
- Swedish Local Government Association (Kommunförbundet)
- Principal Investigator, Intergrating the European Union Into Midwestern Thinking and Practice, European Union Commission, Getting To Know Europe Program. January 2011-June 2012.
- Principal Investigator, College of Arts and Sciences Humanities Institute (CAHI). Greek Ethnic Diaspora, Displacement, and Search for National Identity, with Dr. Frank Hess 2011.
- Co-PI with Tim Hellwig, Institute for Advanced Studies, Mini Workshop Grant for conference on European Responses to Economic Crisis: Lessons for the US, 2011.
- Principal Investigator, U.S. Dept of Education, Title VI funding for West European Studies National Resource Center, 2008-10, extended through January 2011.
- Principal Investigator, Andrew W Mellon Foundation awarded 9/27/10 (ending 7/31/12).
- Principal Investigator. U.S. Dept of Education Aug 2009-Aug 2010 supplemental grant
- Project Director, U.S. Dept of Education, FLAS (Foreign Language and Area Studies), 2008-10
- Principal Investigator. U.S. Dept of Education, Web and Data Management Grant, 2008
- FAS (Swedish Council for Working Life and Social Research). Guest Researcher (2008-Sept 2009).
- EU Center of Excellence, Indiana University. Funding for a workshop entitled: EU Inclusion and Social Integration, August 2008.
Public management, comparative public administration, employment policies and practices, work motivation
- Marketization: Factors Affecting Implementation of Public Management Reforms in Government Agencies
- Globalization and Factors affecting Cross-national Professional Mobility
- Member, Editorial Board, Public Management Review, 2002 to present
- Member, Editorial Board, Public Organization Review, 2000 to present
- Abelkop, A., Botos, A. , Wise, L., Graham, G. 2012. “Regulating Industrial Chemicals: Lessons for US Lawmakers from the European Union’s REACH Program.” Environmental Law Review, November, 2012, vol. 42, pp. 11042-65.
- Abelkop, A., Botos, A. , Wise, L., Graham, G. “ How Can REACH Be Improved.” In Lucas Bergkamp (ed.), REACH Handbook, Oxford University Press, forthcoming.
- Abelkop, A , Botos, A. , Wise, L., Graham, G. 2011. “Risk vs. Hazard: Lessons from the EU's REACH Program.” European Journal of Risk and Regulation, issue 2/2011.
- Fernandez , Sergio and Lois R. Wise. (2010). “Exploring Why Organizations Ingest Innovation.” Public Administration.
- J.L. Perry, A. Hondeghem and L.R. Wise (forthcoming), “Revisiting the Motivational Bases of Public Service: Twenty Years of Research and an Agenda for the Future. " Public Administration Review.
- Pitts, David W. and Lois R. Wise. 2009. ‘Workforce Diversity in the New Millennium; Prospects for Research, Review of Public Personnel Administration (20) 1-26.
- Rubaii-Barrett, Nadia, and Lois Recascino Wise. (2008). “Disability Access and E-Government: An Empirical Analysis of State Practices.” Journal of Disability Policy Studies, Vol 19: 52-64.
- Tschirhart, Mary and Lois Recascino Wise 2007. “US Nonprofit Organizations’ Demand for Temporary Foreign Professionals. “ Nonprofit Management and Leadership, Vol 18, 2: 121-140.
- Rubaii-Barrett, Nadia, and Lois R. Wise. (2007). “From Want Ads to Websites: What Diversity Messages are State Governments Projecting?” Review of Public Personnel Administration.
- Lægreid, Per and Lois R. Wise. (2007). “Reforming Human Resource Management in Civil Service Systems: Recruitment, Mobility, and Representativeness,” in Jos Raadschelders, Theo Toonen, and Fritz van der Meer (Eds.), chapter 12, Comparative Civil Service Systems in the 21st Century. Hampshire, UK: Palgrave MacMillan.
- Wise, Lois R. ( 2007). “Representative Bureaucracy,” in Peter, B. Guy, and Jon Pierre (eds.), Handbook of Public Administration, 2nd edition. London: Sage.
- Wise, Lois R. and Barbara Lamb. (2006). “Job Mobility Assignments: Mechanisms for Human Resource Capacity Development,” in A. Farazmand (ed.), Strategic Public Personnel Administration: Building and Maintaining Strategic Human Capital for the 21st Century, Vol. 2, pp. 281-299. Greenwood Press /Praeger.
- Rubaii-Barrett, Nadia, and Lois R. Wise. (2006). “Language Minorities and the Digital Divide: A Study of State E-Government Accessibility,” Journal of Public Management and Social Policy, 12(2): 5-27 (Fall).
- Wise, Lois Recascino. (2004). “Bureaucratic Posture: On the Need for a Composite Theory of Bureaucratic Behavior,” Public Administration Review, 64(6): 669-680 (November/December).
- Pitts, David and Lois R. Wise (2004). “Diversity in Professional Schools: A Case Study of Public Affairs & Law,” Journal of Public Affairs Education, 10 (2):125-42.