Opportunities for Residents
Meet the history-makers themselves.
Students will have access to prestigious SPEA alums and visitors to the Civic Leaders Center, including lawmakers, business executives, and leaders in the public, private, and nonprofit worlds. Fall 2013 visits include:
- Shannon Watts, Founder of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense
- Lee Hamilton, Former Congressman, Co-Chair of the 9/11 Commission, and Chair of the House Foreign Affairs Committee
- Grace Meng, Human Rights Watch
- Victor Ashe, Former U.S. Ambassador to Poland and Mayor of Knoxville, TN
- Kevin Murphy, Public and Government Affairs Manager of Exxon Mobil
Live, work, play, and learn together.
Civic Leaders residents live in the most modern residence hall on campus, just steps from Assembly Hall. The recently-renovated Briscoe Residence Center, in the Northwest neighborhood, is a short walk to the center of campus, and just minutes from SPEA. Residents will find a secure, fun environment with lots of study space, a dedicated classroom for Civic Leaders, lounges, kitchens, air conditioning and even free laundry on every floor!
Other advantages of being a Civic Leader:
- Bond with other students interested in studying the world’s major policy issues (e.g. income inequality, energy, tax, healthcare, promoting the arts) and the organizations that develop and implement them.
- Move in early with your fellow Civic Leaders – the fun begins with move-in day and a special orientation before the rest of the freshman class arrives.
- Take smaller versions of popular courses that teach you how to think like a policy-maker, advocate, social entrepreneur, and management guru. And get General Education credit while you’re at it!
- Get help on everything from creating a polished résumé to making professional connections to making sure your four-year goals at IU set you up for job success.
- Take trips to Washington, D.C. and elsewhere to see civic leadership first-hand.
SPEA is offering up to 35 scholarships in its second year to qualified students, starting in fall 2014, who choose to live in Civic Leaders Center. You do not have to be a SPEA student to be eligible. When you apply to be part of the Civic Leaders Center, you are automatically entered for the chance to receive a scholarship.
Click here to learn more about our scholarships!