Launching a Career
A SPEA degree not only gives you a head start toward a meaningful and rewarding career, it gives you the versatility to change career paths as your interests and the economy shift. In the most recent survey of SPEA undergraduate students, 91% found employment after leaving campus. They are divided between business (61%), the public sector (29%), and nonprofits (10%). About half of SPEA's graduates remain in Indiana, while other popular destinations include the Chicago area and the Washington DC-Boston corridor. Starting salaries for nearly 40% of the undergrads top $40,000.
For more information, check out SPEA's dedicated Career Development Office. They're available to start working with SPEA students as soon as you arrive on campus.
Rewarding careers begin with strong internships, which is why SPEA requires all of its students to complete at least one internship for credit before graduating. We set you up for success by offering:
- the SPEA Student Internship Fund, a scholarship for students who intern with public, non-profit, and social enterprises;
- a required class in Career Development and Planning;
- access to alumni mentors;
- annual Career Exploration Trips to Chicago, Denver, Indianapolis, New York City, and Washington, DC;
- one-on-one appointments with SPEA's CDO staff;
- various on-campus programs, workshops, and related events that provide opportunities for you to network with potential employers.
To see where SPEA students have been interning, check out this interactive map. Our students have traveled across the country and around the world to get hands-on experience putting what they've learned about management, policymaking, nonprofit administration, the entertainment industry, environmental research, advocacy, and the healthcare sector into practice. Some recent highlights include:
- Riley Hospital for Children (Indianapolis, IN)
- IU Health (Bloomington, IN)
- United Way (Elkhart, IN)
- Make-A-Wish Foundation (Chicago, IL)
- The Field Museum (Chicago, IL)
- UBS (New York, NY)
- RGM Alliance (RGM Group) (San Diego, CA)
- Transatlantic Public Affairs (Dublin, Ireland)
- United States Senate (Washington, DC)
- City of Atlanta, Department of Law (Atlanta, GA)
- Los Angeles Junior Chamber of Commerce (Los Angeles, CA)
- Steppenwolf Theater Company (Chicago, IL)
- Carnegie Hall (New York, NY)
- Sony Music/RED (New York, NY)
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Region 5 (Chicago, IL)
- The Nature Conservancy (Indianapolis, IN)
- Indiana Department of Environmental Management (Indianapolis, IN)
For more information on the lifelong value of a SPEA degree, contact our undergraduate recruitment office at (812) 855-5273 or firstname.lastname@example.org.