IU Bloomington Honors Convocation marks scholarship, IU's founding
Bloomington, Indiana --
IU professors university-wide honored for distinguished teaching and service
Indiana University President Michael A. McRobbie will preside over the 2010 Bloomington Honors Convocation this Sunday (April 11) at 2 p.m. in the IU Auditorium, where he will salute IU Bloomington Founders Scholars, high-achieving undergraduate students who have earned cumulative GPAs of 3.8 or higher.
The convocation, along with the Founders Day Dinner in Celebration of Distinguished Teaching and Service on April 16, are part of activities surrounding the annual celebration of IU's beginnings in 1820.
"It is a special privilege to honor IU's highest achieving undergraduates, who have demonstrated a passionate commitment to intellectual curiosity, discovery and personal excellence that will enable them to make a real difference in their communities and in the world at large," said IU President Michael A. McRobbie.
The Founders Scholar designation was introduced in 2009 to recognize sustained academic excellence.
IU Bloomington Provost and Executive Vice President Karen Hanson said faculty welcomed the opportunity to applaud students who maintain a 3.8 GPA over a number of semesters.
"We take special pleasure in recognizing students who have excelled throughout their careers at IU Bloomington," she said. "It takes perseverance and hard work to earn the academic awards we will present. We are enormously proud of these dedicated and talented students and of the faculty who have nurtured and supported them. We look forward to honoring these outstanding students and celebrating their achievements."
To earn the Founders Scholar designation, an undergraduate, degree-seeking student must have earned a cumulative grade point average of 3.8 or above by the end of the fall term immediately preceding the Honors Convocation.
Founders Scholars receive a letter of commendation from the president and provost in the early spring, and they and their families are invited to the IU Bloomington Honors convocation.
Information about the convocation is available at http://www.indiana.edu/~ceremony/honors/index.shtml.
Honors Convocations are held on all IU campuses in the spring. Another university-wide observance each spring is the Founders Day Dinner in Celebration of Distinguished Teaching. This year 18 faculty, nominated and selected by their peers, will be honored on April 16 (Friday). Five of them will be appointed distinguished professors, a designation which also must be approved by the Board of Trustees. The rank of distinguished professor honors outstanding scholarship, artistic or literary distinction, or other achievements that have won significant recognition by peers.
Recipients of the 2010 Distinguished Teaching Awards were announced on Feb. 17 and can be found at http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/13538.html. Their biographies follow.
- Howard J. Edenberg, IUPUI: http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/13916.html
- Larry E. Humes, IU Bloomington: http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/13903.html
- J. Scott Long, IU Bloomington: http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/13927.html
- Dean D. T. Maglinte, IUPUI: http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/13926.html
- Elinor Ostrom, IU Bloomington: http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/13922.html
The Frederic Bachman Lieber Memorial Award
- Beth Burchfield Kern, IU South Bend: http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/13901.html
The Herman Frederic Lieber Memorial Award
- Dale R. Sengelaub, IU Bloomington: http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/13920.html
The President's Awards
- Ann M. Grens, IU South Bend: http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/13914.html
- M. Elizabeth (Beth) Wood, IU Bloomington: http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/13919.html
The Sylvia Bowman Award
- Jennifer Ann Drobac, IUPUI: http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/13917.html
The Part-Time Teaching Awards
- Larry A. Landis, IUPUI: http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/13897.html
- Julia Karin Lawson, IU Bloomington: http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/13894.html
The Lieber Memorial Teaching Associate Awards
- Renato de Souza Alvim, IU Bloomington: http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/13918.html
- Ryan David Hallows, IU Bloomington: http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/14012.html
The John W. Ryan Award for Distinguished Contributions to International Programs and Studies
- David L. Ransel, IU Bloomington: http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/13921.html
The Thomas Ehrlich Award for Excellence in Service Learning
- Marjorie Randon Hershey, IU Bloomington: http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/13904.html
The W. George Pinnell Awards for Outstanding Service
- Charles P. Gallmeier, IU Northwest: http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/13915.html
- Lynda D. Narwold, Kokomo: http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/13925.html
IU Information about these awards may be found at http://www.indiana.edu/~ceremony/faculty_awards/index.shtmlWeb Version: