SPEA Admissions | SPEA
Your future begins here! The SPEA application process is outlined in the checklist below. Please know that the Masters Program Office is here to support you through the application and admissions process and can be reached at 812.855.2840 or via email at email@example.com.
SPEA's Fall 2013 MPA class is now closed. SPEA's MSES and dual MPA-MSES classes remain open.
Although we will still review applications to our master's degree programs (MPA, MSES, and MPA-MSES), admitted MPA candidates will have an option to be put on a waiting list for any spaces that may open up or to defer until 2014. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
We will begin reviewing applications for Fall 2014 in mid-October.
- Online Indiana University Graduate Application (eApp) and application fee ($55, $65 for international students).
International students should apply here.
- One official transcript – from each college attended, regardless of if degree was conferred. (If you attended Indiana University, you need not submit a transcript: we can obtain it from the Registrar.)
- International applicants- your transcripts should be sent directly to the Office of International Services (address below).
- Three letters of recommendation – preferably from faculty members. On the online application, you will be asked to provide contact information for 3 recommenders. After you submit your application and pay the application fee, an email will be sent to your recommenders prompting them to upload their recommendation letters. Alternatively, your recommenders may submit recommendations, as a PDF attachment, via email to email@example.com. If the recommender chooses to email or mail the letter, they must also complete and attach the reference form found here.
- GRE or GMAT scores – (LSAT is acceptable if you are applying to the joint law program.) Official scores should be sent directly from ETS using our institution code, 1324.
- TOEFL or IELTS scores – for international students. Official scores should be sent directly from ETS using our institution code, 1324. SPEA baseline scores for admission consideration are 96 (TOEFL) and 7.0 (IELTS).
- If you have a bachelors degree from a U.S. institution, this requirement is waived.
- Personal Statement – should be uploaded, as a PDF document, to the application.
- Please consider responding to the following prompt: Describe your most important accomplishments and how they prepared you for graduate study at the School of Public and Environmental Affairs. Outline carefully your current goals and professional plans. Explain your reasons for selecting the School of Public and Environmental Affairs.
- Departmental Questions
- Resume or CV – should be uploaded, as a PDF document, to the application. Alternatively, may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line: Application Resume.
All supplemental materials should be sent to:
SPEA Master’s Program Office
SPEA 260, 1315 East Tenth St.
Bloomington, IN 47405
Office of International Services
Leo R. Dowling International Center
400 E. Seventh Street
Bloomington, IN 47405 USA
MPA: There are no prerequisites to the MPA program. However, it is strongly recommended that applicants have one semester of statistics and college math (basic algebra).
MSES: The MSES Admissions Committee looks for applicants to have an adequate background in quantitative and natural science subjects. As a minimum, an applicant must have completed at least one (1) semester of: calculus and chemistry with lab. Familiarity with concepts in biology/ecology, as well as statistics, is also desirable.
MPA/MSES: Please see the above guidelines for each respective program.
Test Score Minimums:
We do not have defined GPA or GRE/GMAT requirements for admission consideration. The Admission Committee conducts a comprehensive review of each application file and seeks well-rounded students for admission to the SPEA master’s programs. SPEA baseline scores for Admission consideration are 96 (TOEFL) or 7.0 (IELTS). Please see the admissions FAQ page for more information on test scores.
We accept applications to the MSES, dual programs with the MSES degree, and certificate programs for the spring semester. Please know that a fall start is strongly suggested for the MPA program so that you may pursue your degree with optimal course sequencing, build a strong peer network through the cohort system, and be included in consideration for merit aid opportunities. If you have any questions or concerns regarding spring applications to the MPA program, please email email@example.com
The deadline for spring applications is November 15th, 2012.
Deadlines for Application
December 1st, 2012 is the international student deadline.
February 1st is the priority deadline for consideration for SPEA merit aid. SPEA continues to accept (domestic) applications after February 1, but our optimal class size creates constraints as to the numbers we can accept after the priority date. Prospective students are encouraged to submit their applications as early as possible.
May 1 is the final admission application deadline. Applications are accepted after that date on a case-by-case basis. Please know that our MPA class may fill before this date.
Interviews or School Visits
SPEA does not require a formal interview as part of the admission process; however, a campus visit is strongly encouraged. Appointments with faculty, staff, current students and class visits can be scheduled. Please Request a Visit and allow at least one week's advance notice for us to best personalize your visit day.
Indiana University pledges itself to continue its commitment to equal opportunity within the university and throughout American society. In this regard, Indiana University will recruit, hire, promote, educate, and provide services to persons based upon their individual qualifications. Indiana University prohibits discrimination based on arbitrary consideration of such characteristics as age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.