Skip to Content | Skip to Search | Skip to Navigation
Indiana University

Accelerated Masters Program

The Accelerated Master's Program (AMP) allows students to complete both their undergraduate and Master's degrees in an accelerated timeframe of five years.  The AMP is a competitive program for outstanding SPEA students. Students may apply to the Master of Public Affairs (MPA) or the Master of Science in Environmental Science (MSES) early in their junior year.

Participation in this program allows the student to fulfill some graduate program requirements during their senior year. Graduate courses count for both graduate and undergraduate degree requirements. Before starting the graduate program, students must have satisfied all general education and core requirements, with a minimum of 96 credit hours completed toward their bachelor's degree.


The program admits a very few students from among the top 10% of the School's undergraduate majors. To be considered:

  • The student must have completed 96 credit hours (including all general education and core requirements) for their undergraduate degree.
  • The student applies for the Master of Public Affairs (MPA) or the Master of Science in Environmental Science (MSES) degree programs via the School's master's programs admission and financial aid application.
  • The applicant must have at least three letters of recommendation from faculty memebers.
  • A positive evaluation by the Undergraduate Programs director leads to consideration by the regular admissions committee of the professional master's programs.

Financial Aid

First-year AMP students remain at the undergraduate credit hour fee schedule, and are eligible for undergraduate funding.  Second-year AMP students may be eligible for graduate financial aid and assistantships on the same merit basis as other Master's students.

More Information

Download a Fact Sheet with more information about the program and application process.

To plan for application or for any questions about the Accelerated Master's Program contact the Undergraduate Advising Office