Skip to Content | Skip to Search | Skip to Navigation

Transfer Students

The School of Public and Environmental Affairs is as excited to welcome transfer students as we are students who begin their academic careers at IU.  Our unique programs and the diverse opportunities available on campus draw many students who begin at one school and choose Bloomington for the next chapter in their college career.

  1. Admission to IU
    All transfer student, whether students from other universities and colleges or students from other campuses of IU, must begin the transfer process by being admitted to IU Bloomington.  
  2. Credit Transfer Report
    After beginning the admission process, transfer students are usually anxious to know how the coursework they have already taken transfers to IU Bloomington and SPEA specifically.  Students transferring from another institution will receive a credit transfer report upon admission to IU Bloomington.  This report lists all courses that transfer and the IU equivalent to those courses.  If you want to know what courses transfer before you get your official credit transfer report use Bloomington’s Credit Transfer Service.  
  3. SPEA-specific course evaluation
    Next, transfer students want to know how the courses that transferred to IU apply to their potential SPEA degree.  After a student is officially admitted to IU Bloomington, SPEA can provide a complete picture of how all your transfer courses apply to a SPEA degree and what course still need to be completed.  Contact us to make an appointment to create and discuss this academic plan.  You may make an appointment to speak in person or by phone by calling 812-855-0635. 
  4. Admission to SPEA
    Once you are admitted to IU Bloomington, you will need to apply for admission into SPEA.  It is rare for students to transfer directly into SPEA from another institution.  However, that is not a problem--you will be able to take SPEA courses your first semester at IU Bloomington, and SPEA advisors will be available to help you plan your coursework and application.  Most transfer students can apply to SPEA during their first semester on campus, following the same procedures as any other continuing IUB student.

You have at least two semesters after transferring to IU to apply to SPEA.  Most students have even longer.  What is important is that you begin to speak with a SPEA advisor about your transfer and your application to SPEA.  Contact us to begin that discussion.