SPEA in Barcelona
Spend four weeks studying Policy, Governance, and Management in Barcelona Spain at the Universitat Pompeau Fabra and the Institut Barcelona d'Estudis Internacionals. A city famous for its combination of climate, culture, history, and art, Barcelona is one of the few places in the world where one can find, in a single location, the full range of global complexity in governance combined with case examples of innovation being played out simultaneously on a transnational, national, sub-state, regional, and local scale. In a strategic position on the northeastern coast of the Iberian Peninsula and the shores of the Mediterranean, Barcelona is a modern metropolis marked by architectural beauty, traditional markets and religious symbolism.
Highlights of the SPEA in Barcelona Program:
- Course: V482/V582 (6 cr.)
- Dates: June 22 – July 20, 2013
- Eligibility: Undergraduates (ending sophomore year) with minimum 2.8 GPA, Graduate students in good standing.
- Faculty: Professors Eugene McGregor, Marti Grau, and Jacinct Jordana
- Excursions: Weekend trip to Madrid and Toledo. Students unfamiliar with Spain can quickly and easily learn more about Barcelona, Madrid, and Toledo by consulting the Lonely Planet for pictures and basic information.
Included: All tuition and UPF fees, some meals (breakfast and lunch on the five weekdays, catered receptions on Thursday nights at IBEI, hotel breakfasts and a concluding banquet). Also included are classroom rentals, all four excursions including the weekend trip (two nights in a Madrid hotel) by high speed train to Madrid and Toledo, health insurance, a Barcelona public transportation pass for one month, Spanish and Catalan language instruction, all instructional costs, administrative support from IBEI, and some supply costs associated with research projects.
Not Included: airline ticket, transportation between Barcelona airport and UPF, dinners that may be purchased at UPF cafeteria, weekend meals not covered by the UPF student cafeteria contract, the textbooks noted in the syllabus, and all personal expenses incurred outside of the instructional program.
Director of SPEA in Barcelona
Professor Emeritus Dr. Eugene B. McGregor