Apply to MA Program
Application Procedures for the MA Program
The university deadline for admission to the fall semester is January 15 for US applicants. International applicants must apply through the Office of International Services and have an application deadline of January 1.
- If you have questions about or problems with the online application, please contact the University Graduate School at (812) 855-8853 or grdschlindiana.edu.
- If you have questions about the application process that are not addressed on these web pages, please contact the graduate secretary, Kimberly Elkins at (812) 855-4202 or kelkinsindiana.edu.
- If you have questions about the MA program that are not addressed on these web pages, please contact the coordinator of the MA program, Dr. Julie Anderson.
Indiana University recommends that you apply on-line through the application portal. If you are unable to apply online, a paper application can be found on the same website.
The Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences and Indiana University requires the following to be included in your application:
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals who are familiar with your ability to do scholarly work. With the online application, recommendation writers can submit their letters online.
- The application fee to be paid by credit card with online application
- A 300-500 word statement of purpose
- One copy of an official transcript of all previous college and university work.
- One copy of Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores, which must be sent directly from Educational Testing Services. If you have not taken the GRE prior to submitting your application, please indicate the anticipated test date on your application (see FAQs for GRE codes).
If you decide to apply with a paper application or if you have letters of recommendation that are completed on the hard copy form, please submit those materials to:
Kimberly S. Elkins
Speech & Hearing Sciences
200 S. Jordan Avenue
Bloomington, IN 47405-7002
(812) 855-5531 Fax
Official (sealed) transcript should be sent to the same address.
Note: Do not assume all your admissions materials will reach us. Sometimes they are lost in the mail, sent to another department, etc. You may call our department to check on the status of your application at (812) 855-4202.
Applying for the bilingual track program (STEPS)
Students interested in our bilingual track program must be accepted into our Masters program. Please note that an undergraduate degree in SLP is not necessary.
It is important that you indicate in your application essay your interest in our bilingual training track. In addition, please e-mail STEPS director, raanders @ indiana.edu (Dr. Raquel Anderson), and let her know that you have applied to the program. Once your application is completed, STEPS personnel will contact you to arrange a phone interview to assess your oral language proficiency in Spanish (or English, for those non-native English speakers). It is expected that students will be contacted in January to February.
Pre-requisites for admission to STEPS include:
- admission to our M.A.
- program fluency in Spanish (high-intermediate listening and speaking)
- the desire to work as a bilingual SLP, primarily in school settings