Apply to MA Program
Application Procedures for the MA Program
The university deadline for admission to the fall semester is January 15 for US applicants. International applicants must apply through the Office of International Services and have an application deadline of January 1. Please contact the coordinator of the MA program, Dr. Anderson, if you have specific questions regarding the application process that are not addressed on these web pages.
Indiana University recommends that you apply on-line through the application portal. If you are unable to apply online, a paper application can be found on the same website.
The Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences and Indiana University requires the following to be included in your application:
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals who are familiar with your ability to do scholarly work. With the online application, recommendation writers can submit their letters online.
- The application fee to be paid by credit card with online application
- A 300-500 word statement of purpose
- One copy of an official transcript of all previous college and university work.
- One copy of GRE test scores.
If you decide to apply with a paper application or if you have letters of recommendation that are completed on the hard copy form, please submit those materials to:
Kimberly S. Elkins
Speech & Hearing Sciences
200 S. Jordan Avenue
Bloomington, IN 47405-7002
(812) 855-5531 Fax
- Completion of a bachelor's degree from an accredited university in any field, including, but not restricted to, Speech and Hearing Sciences, Psychology, Biology, Physics, Cognitive Sciences, or Education, with a GPA of at least 3.0. Students who do not have undergraduate degrees in Speech and Hearing Sciences are encouraged to apply but please see the FAQ page as you will complete additional requirements during the MA program.
- Taken the GRE. Admission is competitive and so the minimum GPA/GRE that provides for admission into the program varies from year to year.
Applying for the bilingual track program (STEPS)
Students interested in our bilingual track program must be accepted into our Masters program. Please note that an undergraduate degree in SLP is not necessary.
It is important that you indicate in your application essay your interest in our bilingual training track. In addition, please e-mail STEPS director, raanders @ indiana.edu (Dr. Raquel Anderson), and let her know that you have applied to the program. Once your application is completed, STEPS personnel will contact you to arrange a phone interview to assess your oral language proficiency in Spanish (or English, for those non-native English speakers). It is expected that students will be contacted in January to February.
Pre-requisites for admission to STEPS include:
- admission to our M.A.
- program fluency in Spanish (high-intermediate listening and speaking)
- the desire to work as a bilingual SLP, primarily in school settings