Skip to main content
Indiana University Bloomington


The MA program at Indiana University is designed so that students will be able to practice as speech-language pathologists upon completion of the program. Students with backgrounds in speech and hearing sciences or communication disorders can expect to graduate in two years.

Students with a “nonmajor” undergraduate degree typically take three years to complete the M.A. program. Information concerning required undergraduate course work is provided in the Prerequisites for M.A. Degree section and the M.A. Handbook.

The frequently asked questions are organized into five categories. Please browse them to get the information you are looking for.


Q. When should I apply to the Master’s degree program?

A. To be admitted to the fall semester for each year, students must have their application in to Indiana University by January 15.

Q. How do I apply to the Master’s degree program?

A. We prefer to receive electronic applications but paper versions still are accepted. Electronic application can be accessed at the University Graduate School's website. If you decide to apply with a paper application or if you have letters of recommendation that are completed on the hard copy form, please submit those materials to:

Kimberly S. Elkins
Administrative Secretary
Speech & Hearing Sciences
200 S. Jordan Avenue
Bloomington, IN 47405-7002
(812) 855-4202 Phone
(812) 855-5531 Fax

One official (sealed) transcript should be sent to the same address, and your official GRE scores must be sent to us directly from the Educational Testing Services.

You can find additional information about the application process on the Application Procedures for the MA Program section of our website.

Q. I am (or was) a student at Indiana University. Do I need to send my Indiana University transcripts to the department?

A. No, you do not need to order transcripts from Indiana University. However, if you transferred to Indiana University from another university/college, you must submit the transcript(s) from that school, even if it already appears on your Indiana University transcript. If you have any other questions about transcripts, please contact our Administrative Secretary, Kimberly Elkins, at

Q. What is your GRE institution code and department code?

A. The GRE institution code is 1324 and the department code for speech/language is 0620.

Q. Do the three letters of recommendation have to be submitted in the same way (i.e., either all as hard copies or all online)?

A. No. It is fine if, for example, one of your recommenders sends his/her letter as a hard copy, while the other recommenders submit their letters online.

Q. Do all of the application materials have to be submitted at the same time?

A. No. You do not have to submit all of your application materials at the same time—they may be sent individually.

Q. Are there any specific questions or topics I should address in my 300-500 word personal statement?

A. We have no specific requirements about the content of the personal statement other than what is stated in the graduate school application instructions (i.e., current goals, career plans, and reason for selecting the field).

Q. Who do I contact if I have questions about the online application?

A. Please contact the University Graduate School at 812-855-8853 or

Q. When will I hear about my application?

A. Admission letters are typically sent out in early March indicating whether a student has been accepted and whether the student is being offered funding or is being considered for funding. Students who are accepted to the program have until April 15 to reply.



Q. What is your minimum GPA requirement?

A. The University Graduate School recommends that students have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale). However, over the past few years, the mean GPA for the admitted students has been around 3.8 (Range = 3.3-4.0).

Q. What is your minimum GRE score requirement? How long are GRE scores good for?

A. There is no set minimum GRE score requirement, but most students admitted into the program have a combined (verbal + quantitative) GRE of 300 or more. Over the past few years, the mean combined GRE score for the admitted students has been around 308 (Range = 299-329).

GRE scores are good for three years per graduate school recommendation and department policy.

Q. Are admissions decisions based solely on undergraduate GPA and GRE scores?

A. No. In addition to GPA and GRE scores, our admissions committee reviews each applicant’s letters of recommendation, personal statement, and any other information that will establish the candidate’s potential to be successful in our Master’s degree program.

Q. How many students are admitted into the Master’s degree program each year?

A. On average, 35 new students are admitted into the Master’s degree program each year.

Q. How much will it cost to attend Indiana University?

A. See the Tuition Fee page of the Indiana University Graduate School. Tuition rates for the Master’s degree program are listed as Graduate rates. Students will be required to complete a minimum of 36 credit hours in the program, with some students completing additional credit hours depending on their interests and background. Many classes, due to their clinical nature, also have an associated clinical fee.

Q. What kind of funding is available?

A. A limited number of Assistant Instructorships (AI funds) are available that are usually offered to incoming students with the highest GPAs and GRE scores. These AI funds typically include a tuition waiver and a stipend for the student's first year of the program. Students who have taken several levels of American Sign Language (ASL) may also qualify for funding as AIs for the many ASL courses offered in our department. Students are encouraged to describe their ASL or other special skills in the application to graduate program. Applications must be complete by January 15 to be considered for funding. All students who apply to the Master’s degree program will be automatically considered for funding through these two mechanisms.

Students who are interested in the bilingual (Spanish-English) track in the Master’s degree program can also receive funding. If you are bilingual and interested in this program, please see the MA STEPS Program section of our website for more information. You must specifically indicate your interest in this program on your application to be considered.

All appropriate students are considered for these assistantships. As such, students do not need to inquire about the possibility of receiving funding. Students who will be offered funding will receive that offer as soon as funding is available.

You can find additional information on the Financial Aid for MA Program section of our website along with other funding sources.

Q. My application has been placed on the wait list. When will I hear if I am accepted?

A. Because students who are accepted during the initial round of admissions have until April 15 to respond, the earliest that students who are on the waitlist will hear further information about their application is the last week of April.



Q. When does the Master's degree program begin? Can I be accepted for any semester?

A. The Master’s degree program begins with the fall semester. The fall semester start date varies from year-to-year, but specific start dates for each year can be found here. Orientation for graduate students generally begins the week prior to the start of classes. We do not admit students to the spring and summer semesters so that all students begin the Master’s degree program as a cohort in the fall.

Q. Are part-time students accepted?

A.  No. Students are expected to attend the program on a full-time basis. Students typically register for 12-14 credit hours per semester.

Q. How long will it take me to complete my Master’s degree?

A. Students with undergraduate degrees in speech and hearing sciences typically take two years to complete the Master's degree program.

Q. I don’t have an undergraduate degree in speech and hearing sciences. How long will it take me to complete my Master’s degree? What undergraduate courses will I be required to take?

A. Students with a “nonmajor” undergraduate degree typically take three years to complete the Master’s degree program. Information concerning required undergraduate course work is provided in the Prerequisites for Master’s Degree Program section of our website and the Master’s in Speech-Language Pathology Student Handbook.



Q. What is the Test of English as a Foreign Language(TOEFL) requirement for the clinical Master’s degree program in Speech-Language Pathology?

A. International applicants wishing to complete a clinical Master’s degree in Speech-Language Pathology must have a TOEFL score that meets or exceeds the following:
Internet-based:           100
Computer-based:         250
Paper-based:               600
In addition to the achieving the above minimum TOEFL score, international students pursuing the clinical degree must have sufficient spoken language skills to work with clients in the clinic. The Department requires that international students first be admitted into a non-clinical track until they have received satisfactory scores on the following two tests, which can be completed upon arrival to Indiana University:
1. Indiana English Proficiency Examination (pass/fail scoring)
2. Test of English Proficiency for International Associate Instructor Candidates (score of C2 or C1).

Q. I completed my undergraduate degree at an American University. Do I still have to submit the results of the TOEFL?

A. Even though you completed your undergraduate degree at an American university, you still are required to take the TOEFL—if your native language is not English.



Q. What are Indiana University’s residency requirements?

A. If you have questions about Indiana University’s residency requirements, please contact the Registrar’s Office.

Q. Can I visit the department?

A. Of course, we welcome student visits! Please contact our Graduate Secretary, Kimberly Elkins (, to schedule a visit.

Q. What if I have more questions about your program?

A. Answers to most other questions can be found in our Master’s in Speech-Language Pathology Student Handbook or you can e-mail the MA program coordinator, judander @ (Dr. Julie Anderson).