Apply to Ph.D. Program
Application Procedures for the PhD Program
The university deadline for admission to the fall semester is January 15. We only consider applications for the spring and summer semesters under certain circumstances. Please contact the coordinator of the PhD program, jjlentz @ indiana.edu (Dr Jennifer Lentz), if you would like to apply to a different semester or if you have specific questions regarding the application process.
Indiana University recommends that you apply on-line through the application portal. If you are unable to apply online, a paper application can be found on the same website.
The Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences requires the following to be included in your application:
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals who are familiar with your ability to do scholarly work. With the online application, recommendation writers can submit their letters online.
- The application fee to be paid by credit card with online application
- A 300-500 word statement of purpose
- One copy of an official transcript of all previous college and university work
- One official copy of GRE test scores.
Kimberly S. Elkins
Speech & Hearing Sciences
200 S. Jordan Avenue
Bloomington, IN 47405-7002
(812) 855-5531 Fax
- Completion of an undergraduate degree in speech and hearing sciences or an acceptable related field (e.g., biology, engineering, linguistics, psychology).
- Recommended Grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Recommmended Graduate Record Examination score in excess of 1000 for the verbal and quantitative sections combined (or 600 on any one section)