Center for Statistical and Mathematical Computing
To support IU faculty, students, and staff as they employ statistical analyses and advanced mathematical operations in their university work.
The Stat/Math Center is an initiative of the UITS Research Technologies division. The mission of RT is to provide and support the world-class research computing resources that enable scientific and artistic breakthroughs throughout Indiana University. RT supports IU's researchers, scientists, artists, clinicians, and students; fosters collaborations; and aids innovations that advance IT at IU and in the state.
Stat/Math Software Support
Stat/Math Software on UITS computers
The Stat/Math Center plans and manages the statistical and mathematical software on the UITS shared computers as well as on the workstations in the Student Technology Centers. Our planning is driven by your needs and requests.
Software Categories We Support
The software we deliver and support falls into the following categories:
- Statistics packages for statistical analysis of data. These are the most commonly used computer-assisted research software packages at IU, and include advanced statistical tools as well.
- Mathematics packages for symbolic manipulation and analytic and numerical solutions of mathematical problems.
- Other software packages that supports researchers at IU, such as mathematical optimization and decision support packages, Stat/Transfer, SigmaPlot, and AutoCAD.
Software Sales and Leases
The Stat/Math Center sells or leases statistical and mathematical software to IU faculty and departments at discounts far below academic prices. Software includes workstation editions of such popular packages as SPSS, SAS, and Matlab. Depending upon the vendor's license terms, some software may be sold to IU students. All sales include installation, troubleshooting, and maintenance support.
The Center also coordinates the distribution of selected SPSS modules to the IU community under the SPSS Enterprise License Agreement.
Getting Help with Stat/Math Software
Here you'll find extensive up-to-date information about stat/math software, including tutorials, licensing information, resource links, updates, security patches, the latest news, references (such as where to find software manuals), and much more.
The UITS Knowledge Base
The Knowledge Base, available on the Web twenty-four hours a day, provides answers to thousands of questions about computing at IU, including substantial information about statistical and mathematical computing.
The Stat/Math Center makes locally produced and vendor-produced software publications available at the reserve desks of the Swain Hall, Business/SPEA, and Education libraries at IUB and at the IUPUI University Library Reference Department. The locally produced publications are available on the Stat Math Web site.
Training and Education
The Stat/Math Center delivers (in cooperation with the IT Education and Training) short, non-credit classes on statistical and mathematical computing. Each class introduces a software package in about 120 minutes.
Extended One-on-One Help
If you cannot find your answer through the above methods, contact the Stat/Math Center. We offer:
- On-the-spot help with a specific problem concerning, for example, software function, syntax, or procedures
- Help with choosing appropriate software and computing platforms for individuals, and help for departments seeking software for their network servers
- In-depth consulting on difficult research problems, including frequent collaborations on applied statistics and statistical computing problems with researchers across IU
- Instructional support - from assistance with class development to software instruction for students during class time -for faculty who are integrating statistical and mathematical software into their courses
Statistical Consulting Services
The Indiana Statistical Consulting Center (ISCC) provides statistical support to faculty, staff, and graduate students. The ISCC helps in areas such as experimental design, data analysis, and model formulation.
410 North Park Avenue
Bloomington, IN 47408
535 West Michigan Street IT431
Indianapolis, IN 46202
Appointments are recommended but not necessary. If you think your question may take more than a few minutes or you wish to speak with a particular consultant, calling in advance will assure you uninterrupted attention.
Hours: Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
- IUB (812) 855-4724
- IUPUI (317) 278-4740
- Software Sales (812) 855-8007