- You need to install SPSS 20 first and then run the SPSS License Authorization Wizard to get the license code from SPSS Inc. SPSS InstallShield Wizard installs SPSS and launches the License Authorization Wizard after installation.
- The authorization code on the back of your CD envelope is needed when getting a license code.
- After the installation, you need to check if your SPSS is licensed correctly and if new SPSS patches are available.
- Installation and licensing guide for Mac machine, please click here.
SPSS 20 Installation for Windows
1. Log on to your computer with administrator privileges. Place the SPSS DVD in the DVD-Rom drive. Using Windows Explorer, browse to the DVD-ROM.
2. Choose an approprate folder for your installer. If you are trying to install SPSS 20 for 32-bit Windows, double-click the Windows folder. If you are trying to install SPSS 20 for 64-bit Windows, double-click the Windows64 folder.
3. Double-click on the file to start the installation. (Note: If you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click on file and choose Run as administrator to start the installation.)
4. The installation starts, it may take several minutes get to the next step.
5. Click Next.
6. Choose the Single user license radio button and click Next. The other two choices will cause license errors.
7. Choose I accept the terms in the license agreement radio button, and click Next.
8. Enter user name and organization, and click Next.
9. Click Next.
10. Click Next.
11. Click Install to install the program.
12. Installation will begin.
13. The InstallShield Wizard now completed SPSS installation. It is time to get the license code for SPSS. If you wish to register now, make sure the Register with spss.com is checked and then click OK. If not, de-select the Register with spss.com and then click OK.
14. Check the License my product now (recommended) button and click Next to apply the license.
15. Type in the authorization code found on the back of the SPSS CD sleeve and click Next.
16. If you enter the correct authorization code, you will see the screen below. Then click Next .
17. When the licensing is completed, click Finish to exit.
Check Your License
After installation and license authorization, you need to double-check if your SPSS is licensed correctly.
18.1 Start SPSS 20, Click Cancel
18.2 In SPSS Data Editor window, make sure you see IBM SPSS Statistics Processor is ready on the very bottom.
18.3 To check your license expiration date, use File -> New -> Syntax to open SPSS Syntax Editor
18.4 In SPSS Syntax Editor type in show license. Do not omit the period at the end of the command.
18.5 Use Run -> All to run the command
18.6 The license information is shown in SPSS Viewer window. Note: Although the expiration date shown is 01-Aug, there is a 30 day grace period. The actual expiration date is 31-Aug.
If you have this output above, you are ready to use SPSS.