The Steering Committee * The Design Series * Series Dates * The Campus Garden Initiative * Get Involved
The Steering Committee
The Edible Campus Steering Committee was recently formed to develop academic partnerships, community outreach opportunities, and volunteer programming in support of edible gardening spaces, like the Bryan House Garden and the new central campus garden, that enhance the historical character of the IU Bloomington Campus. A list of Steering Committee members can be found here. The committee is co-chaired by Sherry Wise and Jennifer Meta Robinson.
The Design Series
An "edible campus" demonstrates how sustainability, food security, and environmental quality can be linked through innovative urban design to produce food in a challenging urban setting, demonstrating ways to weave productive planting in urban spaces without diminishing their utility or functionality.
The Designing an Edible Campus Series aims to achieve three goals:
- Encourage communication and cooperation between existing entities interested in food and sustainability.
- Collectively design creative ways to incorporate food production into institutional structures and activities.
- Formulate a proposal for making IUB more beautiful, sustainable and edible.
Design Series Dates
With the goals above in mind, we have designed a three part design series:
- Introduction to the IUB Campus Garden Initiative - Wednesday, February 23rd, 6-7:30 PM in the IMU Dogwood Suite. This event has already occurred. Download the presentation here.
- Collective Brainstorm and Design Session - Wednesday, March 23rd, 6-8 PM, Kelley School CG 3059
- Presentation of Final Visions and Next Steps - NEW DATE! Tuesday, April 26th, 5:30-6:30 PM, Neal Marshall Bridgewater Lounge. Refreshments will be served, courtesy of IMU Catering. Download the presentation here.
Miss the design series, but still want to be involved? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on the IU Garden Initiative or to sign up for the IU Garden Listserv, please email the Garden Coordinator, Stephanie Hopkins, at email@example.com.
Stay up to date on food related issues on the IU –Bloomington campus by reading the IU Garden Initiative Blog at http://iugarden.wordpress.com/.