Read more about the Food Working Group in the following sections.
The IU Task Force on Sustainability (IUSTF) created the Food Working Group (FWG) in 2007 to address issues of sustainable food on the IUB campus and in the surrounding community. With the establishment of the IU Office of Sustainability in 2009, the IUSTF transitioned into the Campus Sustainability Advisory Board (CSAB). The FWG continues its research and programming as one of seven CSAB working groups.
Vision, Mission and Organization
VisionWe envision an environmentally sustainable and socially just food system that promotes food security, education, and local procurement within the Bloomington area.
- Through collaboration among students, staff, faculty, and community members, the Food Working Group (FWG) strives to support an environmentally and financially sustainable food system focusing on quality, taste, and nutrition, as well as the social, ecological, and public health costs of food production and consumption.
- Procurement: Support an environmentally sustainable food system by sourcing food that is socially just, economically viable and nutritionally sound
- Waste: Support the development of sustainable waste-management systems
- Education: Support learning opportunities and student activities fostering sustainable food systems
- Collaboration: Foster a sustainable food network with increased communication and collaboration among diverse stakeholders
- The FWG is responsible for bring together a diverse group of stakeholders on the IUB campus, uniting our often disconnected academic and operational missions in support of a healthy campus food system. As you can see, IU has an abundance of food actors, and the FWG plays a critical role in supporting communication and collaboration between them.
- The FWG held the second IU Food Summit and discussed sustainable food options and data tracking with our vendors.
- Volunteers began implementing the permaculture redesign plans of the Hilltop Campus Garden.
- The FWG held the third IU Food Summit, which focused on student perceptions and demand for sustainable food.
- The FWG held the first IU Food Summit to discuss the development of a sustainable food procurement policy.
- Dan Knudsen's Geography Real Food Challenge course began so students could work on an assessment of the sustainability of food items purchased by RPS.
- Collins sponsored a permaculture course in Fall 2013 taught by Jonas Carpenter that has led to the redesign of the Campus Garden.
- Amy Countryman created a guide for local farmers to sell to Piazza or Troyers.
- Stephanie Hopkins organized the pilot campus garden at the Bryan House, and she began the Designing an Edible Campus design series.
The Food Working Group is led by:
- Steven Lalevich, Staff Co-Chair, IUB Health Center, (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- James Farmer, Faculty Co-Chair, Chair of Geography, (email@example.com)
|Farmer, James||Co-Chair; Faculty (School of Public Health)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Lalevich, Steven||Co-Chair; Faculty (Health Center)||email@example.com|
|Fowler, Sandra||Staff (RPS)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Fredericks, Tresa||Staff (Purchasing)||email@example.com|
|Toler, April||Faculty (Vp for Engagement)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Gray, Chris||Staff (Sodexo)||email@example.com|
|Halloran, Vivian||Faculty (Comparative Lit & Am Studies)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Hampton, Chris||Faculty (SPEA)||email@example.com|
|Hinnefeld, Steve||Faculty (Vp for Engagement)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Hollingsworth, Patty||Staff (Director of Health IU)||email@example.com|
|Ipsen,Carl||Faculty (Department of History, Director IU Food Project, Director of Collins )||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|IU Garden Initiative||Groupemail@example.com|
|Johnston, Gillian||Staff (College of Arts and Sciences)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Kaser, Hope||Faculty (Assistant Director of Athletic Dining)||email@example.com|
|Keith, Rebecca||Staff (IU Alumni Association)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Kelly, Deb||Faculty (SPEA Undergraduate Academic Advisor)||email@example.com|
|Knudsen, Zachary||Staff (IMU)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|McKeen,Graham||Faculty (Public Health Manager)||email@example.com|
|Gerbig, Marta||Faculty (Enviromental Health and Safety)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Hojnicki, Caryn||Staff (Athletics)||email@example.com|
|Piurek, Jennifer||Faculty (Communications and Special Projects Office of the Provost)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Pontius, Joel||Faculty (Assistant Professor of Sustainability and Environmental Education)||email@example.com|
|Rerko, Kent||Staff (RPS)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Rice, Tim||Staff (Office of Procurement Services)||email@example.com|
|Sideris, Lisa||Faculty (Religious Studies)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Solomon, Stephanie||Mother Hubbard's Cupboardemail@example.com|
|Symes, Ellie||Faculty (SPEA)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Tallent, David||Staff (IU Catering)||email@example.com|
|Thill, Leah||faculty (SPEA)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Todd, Peter||Faculty (Department of Psychology)||email@example.com|
|Wiley, Andrea S.||Faculty (Anthropology)||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Wolford, Cory||Faculty (Environmental Health and Safety Specialist)||email@example.com|
|Woodard, Lea||Hilltop Gardenfirstname.lastname@example.org|