Are you looking for ways to encourage, challenge, and support the academic, community, and personal development of the students on your floor? Are you running out of ideas for bulletin boards and activities to engage your students? Look no further, you've hit the ultimate RA resource jackpot!
Below, you can find sustainability-related bulletin board kits, DIY projects, tours, recycling bin maps, and program/event guides to help you stay on top of your residential duties while having a good time and greening IU's campus! Tell other RPS staff about the resources and opportunities found here, and revisit this page regularly as new resources will be added throughout the school year.
As an RPS staff member, you have opportunity to make a difference in your students' lives and in the greening of IU's campus. Take the pledge below and make a commitment to incorporate sustainable programming into your activities as an RA.
Get your students out of their residence hall and take them on an adventure! The tour guides below will help you introduce your students to the wonderful, sustainability-related opportunities and activities available around IU's campus and Bloomington. Not only will you and your floor get the chance to explore your home, but you will also learn a great deal about how our university and city are taking steps towards a sustainable future!
- Alternative Transportation: This tour leads you and your students around Bloomington. You will experience the bus system, visit and possibly volunteer at the Bloomington Bike Project, and walk the B-Line trail.
- Farmers' Market: Spend an afternoon with your students at the community farmers' market! This guide will provide you with the information you need to navigate the market, teach your students about the importance of local food, and explore the products available with fun activities, including a scavenger hunt!
- Hoosier to Hoosier Community Sale: Teach students about how their consumption practices impact Bloomginton's waste stream by taking them to H2H, IU's biggest rummage sale! Reusing things like furniture, clothing, and school supplies reduces resource consumption and diverts waste. Not only can students buy everything they need for their lives on or off campus at a low price, but they can actively minimize their impact on the city and the environment.
Bulletin Board Kits
Assembling your floor bulletin board couldn't be easier with these ready-made bulletin board kits! Each kit revolves around a sustainability-related theme meant to educate, involve, and inspire the students on your floor to participate in the greening of IU. Simply click the title of the bulletin board of your choosing to download the PDF file. Then, print the individual kit pieces on regular 8.5"x11" pieces of paper and follow the accompanying assembly guide to have your sustainability board on display in no time!
- Green Room Certification Program (GRCP): The GRCP supports and celebrates every campus-dwelling student who strives to live more sustainably by adopting sustainable habits and choosing to use eco-friendly products. Students who certify their rooms receive a free reusable water bottle, and the winners of the Greenest Floor Challenge in each residence receive a floor-wide pizza party!
- Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED): LEED is a cutting-edge system for certifying green buildings; it was developed by the US Green Building Council in 2000 and is a voluntary, consensus-based, national certification system for developing high-performance, sustainable buildings.
- Energy Challenge: This is a competition between all IU buildings to see who can save the most energy. The purpose of the Energy Challenge is to instill conservation habits in participants. It rewards participants for making small behavior changes that, when performed collectively, can substantially decrease Indiana University's environmental impact.
Looking for a fun activity to do with your students this year? Use these project guides to organize a DIY crafting session with your floor while recycling unwanted items. Doing these projects together with your students is a great way to break the ice, have fun, and live more sustainably!
- Pringles Can Speakers: Make speakers for iPods, iPhones, and other music playing devices out of an empty Pringles can!
- Secret Compartment Book: Create a secret spot to hide your treasures by hollowing out an old textbook!
Program & Event Guides
There are always new and ongoing opportunities to get involved with green living at IU. If you want to stay in the loop of sustainable events and programs on campus and around Bloomington, then these guides are for you! Use these guides to stay informed and help you engage your students with the numerous sustainability activities offered throughout the school year.
- Big Red Eats Green (BREG) Event Guide: Take your students to the 2013 BREG fall food festival and farmers' market. Students can sample a variety of foods from restaurants and farms around Bloomington and learn about local food! This event will feature food from 15 local restaurants, four local farmers, live music, and three IU faculty lectures all about food! BREG takes place at the IU Art Museum on Tuesday, September 10, between 11a.m. and 3p.m. Use this guide to learn more about the event and take your students to check it out!