Hilltop Garden and Nature Center provides educational opportunities for community members and supplies produce to Indiana Memorial Union.
The average meal leaves an industrial farm and travels 1500 miles over 7 to 14 days before it reaches our plates. As fuel prices rise andclimates change, the current food system becomes increasingly unsustainable. As members of a college campus community, it is our responsibility to address these issues. Learn more about sustainable food from the Big Red Eats Green initiative.
The IU Campus Garden Initiative currently oversees one edible gardening space on the IU Bloomington campus: The Hilltop Garden. Workdays for the Spring 2017 semester are Thursdays 4-6 and Saturdays 10-noon. 'Like' the IU Campus Garden Initiative facebook page for updates, or email your name to firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the listserv.
The Hilltop Garden is the initiative’s central campus garden. At 8,500 square feet, this garden provides the campus community with an opportunity to engage in food production both curricular and extra-curricular ways. The Hilltop Garden is located at the Hilltop Garden and Nature Center at 2367 E 10th Street near Tulip Tree Apartments. Volunteers should gather near the center’s main entrance.
To Hilltop Garden:
To avoid biking up the big hill on 10th St, take 7th St up past the fountain. Take the path that goes between the library parking lot and the auditorium. Continue onto 7th St. Stay on 7th after you pass Union St. Turn left on Jefferson, then right on 10th. Hilltop will be on your left.
There is a #9 bus stop at Tulip Tree Apartments, which are a 2-minute walk from Hilltop.
Volunteer At The Garden
Why Volunteer At The Garden?
- Learn how to maintain a garden and to reap what you sow!
- Take home fresh produce for free
- Learn the importance of local food for your health and the health of the community
- Make new friends!
- Spring 2017 volunteer days are Thursdays 4-6 and Saturdays 10-noon throughout the spring semester.
- All volunteers are provided with proper gardening tools and gloves upon arrival
- Volunteering takes place at the Hilltop Garden and Nature Center. No need to sign up, just show up!
- Stay up to date on garden volunteer opportunities by following their Facebook page.
You or your organization can donate to the garden by contacting email@example.com