Building & Energy
Campus Sustainability Awards
- This event celebrates the remarkable accomplishments of sustainability catalysts at IU and thanks them for their leadership, innovation, and positive impact as the campus community works together to achieve the Indiana University Bloomington Campus Sustainability Advisory Board 2020 vision.
- Campus Sustainability Awards Website
- The purpose of the Energy Challenge is to instill conservation habits in participants. It rewards participants for making small behavior changes that, when performed collectively, can substantially decrease Indiana University's environmental impact.
- Energy Challenge Website
- Indiana University is devoted to sustainable building design. To carry out this promise, the University is committed to building and renovating healthier, less wasteful, energy efficient buildings in which to learn, work, and live.
- Green Building Website
- The IU Office of Sustainability wants to recognize events that have made a dedicated effort to becoming more sustainable. Keeping in mind the categories of food, transportation, venue and purchasing, we have created a survey with tiered levels for you to see how "green" your event is.
- Green Events Website
- A Green Team is an informal group of faculty, staff, and students in a particular campus unit who work collectively to promote environmentally, socially, and economically friendly practices within that unit.
- Green Teams Website
Greening of the IMU
- The Greening of the IMU, led by the Office of Sustainability at IU Bloomington, brought togehter IU students, faculty and staff with nationally recognized experts in the field of green building. The intense, two-day green planning process - also known as an "eco-charrette" - focused on ideas for more efficient energy use at the IMU.
- Greening of the IMU Website
Green Rentals Housing Project
- The Green Rentals Housing Project is a non-profit endeavor to help renters consider sustainability factors, such as energy efficiency, when choosing a rental property. Your assistance is essential in helping us collect energy data, which can help users compare costs and energy use for specific rental properties.
- Green Rentals Housing Project Website
Living Sustainably Off-Campus
- This is designed to help you make decisions that will lower your impact on the environment, communities, and probably save you some money too.
- Living Sustainably Off-Campus Website
Education & Research
Sustainability Course Development Fellowship
- This award program, sponsored by the Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty & Academic Affairs, in collaboration with the IU Office of Sustainability and the Integrated Program in the Environment, supports faculty members’ efforts to enhance teaching of topics related to sustainability and environmental literacy at the IU Bloomington campus.
- Sustainability Course Development Fellowship Website
Sustainability Research Development Grant
- This award program supports collaborative efforts of Indiana University graduate students and faculty to develop new, externally funded research programs related to research on sustainability.This represents an outgrowth of a broad-based initiative supported by the Indiana University Office of Sustainability.
- Sustainability Research Development Grant Website
Bloomington Urban Woodlands Project
- Come join an interdisciplinary team of faculty, students and professionals engaged in restoration, research, and education as they work to promote healthy forests and reconnect communities with the natural and cultural heritage of their woodlands. Their current focuses are Dunn's Woods on the Indiana University Bloomington campus, and Latimer Woods, part of the City of Bloomington's parks and trails system.
- Bloomington Urban Woodlands Project Website
Greenhouse Gas Inventory
- The Greenhouse Gas Inventory (GHG) provides reports of Indiana University's (Bloomington - IUB) greenhouse emissions, background on greenhouse gases and climate change, an overview of IUB's impact, and an explanation of the campus carbon calculator.
- Greenhouse Gas Inventory Website
Greening Cream & Crimson
- Become a Tailgate Ambassador or Green Greeter on the the Greening Cream and Crimson team in IU Athletics to help make IU football games a sustainable event!
- Greening Cream & Crimson Website
Greek Sustainability Initiative
- Whether you are a Chapter Sustainability Chair or regular Greek member looking to be more green, the IUOS website is a resource for you. Click below to learn ways to enhance the sustainability efforts of your chapter.
- Greek Sustainability Initiative Website
- With combined efforts from the faculty, staff, and students of IUB, we can reduce the peak demand of our campus, save money, and prevent more carbon emissions. Learn more about reducing our energy usage during Peak Load at the link below.
- Peak Load Website
- RecycleMania is a friendly, nationwide competition and benchmarking tool for college and university recycling programs to promote waste reduction activities to their campus communities. IU has participated in two competitions thus far. Stay tuned for our the next one!
- Recyclemania Website
Big Red Eats Green
- The mission of BREG is to increase awareness of the benefits of eating local, emphasize the availability of local food, especially for students at IU, and support the local food community.
- Big Red Eats Green Website
Campus Garden Initiative
- The IUB Campus Garden Initiative fosters environmental and social sustainability by creating interactive, edible gardening spaces on the IU-Bloomington campus.
- Campus Garden Initiative Website
- The Indiana University Food Summits convene student, faculty, staff and community stakeholders to discuss major issues relating to food planning. how the university should define and track local and sustainable food for the campus.
- Food Summit Website
Hoosier to Hoosier Community Sale
- This reuse program aims 1) to divert reusable items from the landfill during student move-out, 2) to prevent additional resource consumption by selling collected items to students and community members in order 3) to raise funds for local charities and other organizations.
- Hoosier to Hoosier Community Sale Website
Living Sustainably Off-Campus
- Learn how to make decisions that will lower your impact on the environment, communities, and probably save you some money too.
- Living Sustainably Off-Campus Website
Milion Gallon Challenge
- In an effort to reduce water usage on the Bloomington campus, IUB began its first Million Gallon Challenge on September 1, 2012. At the end of the challenge, one month later, 7.77 million gallons of water were saved when compared to the same month a year earlier. We continue this challenge yearly in an effort to make Bloomington more sustainable.
- Milion Gallon Challenge Website
Sustainability Peer Educator Program
- This is a co-curricular initiative targeted to prepare peer educators who will lead sustainability workshops to campus members. It increases access and improves sustainability literacy among faculty, staff and students.
- Sustainability Peer Educator Program Website
- The Bicycle Steering Committee was founded in 2011 as a partner with the Transportation Working Group and the Office of Sustainability to bring together highly capable students, faculty, and staff to improve campus bicycle resources.
- Bicycle Initiative Website