Current Programs & Initiatives
Electronic Waste Collections Days
Thank you to our partners, The District and the City of Bloomington, for a successful E-Waste Collection Days event. Nearly 1,000 vehicles brought 141,070 lbs of electronics from Bloomington-area homes, businesses and schools to this year's collection days that were held on May 10-11, 2013. If you missed this event, but still have electronics to recycle, contact The District to learn more about their new, free e-waste disposal program. See below under Resouces for other local e-waste re-use and recycling options. IU departments should contact IU Surplus for a free electronic waste pickup.
Where can I recycle my cell phone on campus?
- Take your broken or working cell phone to the eco cell bin in the IU Memorial Union.
I have recently upgraded my computer. Is there organization who can reuse my old computer:
- Yes! ServeIT is an IU School of Informatics's program that provides students with the opportunity to recondition electronics and make them available to local non-profit organizations. Goodwill Industries also refurbishes computers and sells them in their thrift stores.
Where can I recycle my personal electronics in Monroe County?
Many entities now offer free electronics recycling services. Explore the links below for program details:
- The District - Monroe County Solid Waste Management District
- Best Buy
- Goodwill Industries
- Office Depot
Where can I recycle IU owned departmental electronics?
- IU owned electronics should be transferred to IU Surplus.
Who can I contact to discuss other sustainable computing issues?
- Just send an email to email@example.com to get in touch with the UITS Sustainability Coordinator.