The IU Task Force on Sustainability (IUSTF) created the Resource Use and Recycling (RU&R) Working Group in 2007. With the establishment of the IU Office of Sustainability in 2009, the IUSTF transitioned into the Campus Sustainability Advisory Board (CSAB); the Resource Use and Recycling Working Group has continued its research and programming as one of seven CSAB working groups.
To work toward the IU Office of Sustainability 2020 Vision Goal of reducing the campus waste stream 40% by 2020. This will require “upstream” approaches that reduce the materials arriving on campus in the first place, as well as “downstream” approaches that capture reusable materials for reuse and divert recyclable materials for recycling.
One of the Office of Sustainability's 2020 Vision Goals is to reduce overall campus waste 40% by 2020. In order to acheive this, the Resource Use Working Group works toward the following goals:
- To maximize efficiency of campus resource use by ensuring that both upstream and downstream infrastructure/systems are provided to the IUB community to reduce, reuse, and recycle resources.
- To increase resource use-minimizing behavior in the IUB community through educational programs and initiatives.
- To strive for accurate data collection across all campus entities and vendors dealing with waste and recycling in order to measure diversion rates and ensure that necessary data is collected to meet the goal of 40% waste reduction by 2020.
- Desk-side recycling containers were distributed to nearly every office on campus.
- Building Services began the installation of thousands of new public area recycling containers in academic buildings.
- Several more paired, outdoor recycling and trash containers were installed around campus.
- IUB participated in Recyclemania for its third year; the campus recycling rate was 26%, up from 22% in 2011.
- Several waste audits completed in various academic buildings indicated that the new indoor recycling containers were more effective than the previous infrastructure but required additional labeling to maximize potential.
- The waste audits also showed that the desk-side recycling containers caused nearly complete separation of recyclable material from trash.
- The Working Group helped author a Request For Proposal for a new waste hauling contract with the university.
- Labels were placed on all new indoor recycling containers indicating which materials are accepted by each container.
- Composting operations were expanded at Hilltop Garden and Nature Center.
- A composting partnership with the Local Growers Guild was established.
- The Hoosier to Hoosier Community Sale sold 35 tons of material, most diverted from the landfill, for $29,000 to 2,500 people.
- The Greening Cream and Crimson student organization made important headway with providing recycling at home football games.
- The Working Group made progress toward an accurate and detailed waste data collection system.
- IU Surplus Stores began extensively processing E-waste, separating all components for resale or recycling.
In order to bring research, teaching, and campus operations insterests around the same table, the Resource Use Working Group is led by academic and operational co-chairs. Currently, the academic co-chair is Steven Kreft, Clinical Associate Professor in the Kelley School of Business, and the operational co-chair is Hank Hewetson, Associate Vice President for Facilities. Also, any current Office of Sustainability intern with a related project focus serves a supporting role for the Working Group.
|Name (last, first)||Title||Email (@indiana.edu)|
|Hewetson, Hank||Associate Vice President, Facilities||hhewetso|
|Kreft, Steven||Faculty, Kelley School of Business||skreft|
|Akers, Stephen||Associate Director of Environmental Operations, Residential Programs and Services||spakers|
|Brown, Bill||Director of Sustainability, Office of Sustainability||brownwm|
|Cole, Phil||IU Office of Procurement Services Contract Manager||pcole|
|Edelson, Daniel||Greek Community intern, Office of Sustainability; Net Impact representative; Undergraduate student||dedelson|
|Fichter, Gregory||Assistant Director, Building Services||gfichter|
|James, Julie||Faculty, School of Public Health||julajame|
|Mason, Charlotte||Undergraduate student||chamason|
|Minard, Sara||Anthropology Ph.D. Student||sminard|
|Reid, Todd||Manager, IU Warehouse and Surplus Stores Manager||tareid|
|Rex, Emilie||Assistant Director of Sustainability, Office of Sustainability||ekrex|
|Rice, Timothy||Purchasing Director of Administration, University Purchasing||trice|
|Riggins, Steve||Property Manager, IU Real Estate||seriggin|