Spring 2015 Real-World & Service Learning Clients
Nothing provides a richer learning experience than working with an actual client. The people and organizations below would like
IU Telecom classes and students to produce videos for them.
T354 & T356 students - The following organizations would like to have 30 or 60-second public service announcements (PSAs) produced for them:
- IU Student Advocates Office - They would like an informational PSA drawing attention to the service they provide to victims of sexual assault. Contact Sally Jones, 812-855-0761, sejones [at] indiana.edu
- The Kinsey Institute would like a PSA on sexual health. Contact: Jennifer Bass, 812-855-3037, jbass [at] indiana.edu.
- Bloomington Winter Farmers’ Market - Interested in making a short - 2-4 minute film to assist in fundraising for the Healthful Food for All Fund. Contact:
Janice Lilly, firstname.lastname@example.org
- IU Office of Sustainability Energy Challenge - They would like a PSA promoting the Energy CHallenge. Contact: Kristen Brethova, 812-855-2678, brethova [at] indiana.edu
- Hoosiers for a Common Sense Health Plan- This group would like a PSA on medicade expansion. Contact: Robert Stone and Karen Green Stone, grostone [at] gmail.com
- Council for Community Accessibility (CCA), PSA for March/April Disability Awareness Month, Herron, Katherine, kgherron [at] indiana.edu
- SCCAP Head Start - Contacts are Emily Rearson (ACE), emrairdo [at] imail.iu.edu & Anna Donley, annad [at] insccap.org
- Bloomington Office of Economic Development and Sustainability - Would like several PSAs. The contact is Jacqui Bauer, bauerj [at] bloomington.in.gov
- To encourage students to donate items they no longer need to the Hoosier Community Sale when they move.
- To encourage students to upload their energy data to a new online rental housing website that will include information on utility costs.
- To support the Civil Streets program
- Monroe County Community Foundation - Contact: Marcus Whited, marcus [at] cfbmc.org
- LifeDesigns, Inc Contact: Susan Rinne (srinne [at] lifedesignsinc.org) and Stephanie Shelton (sshelton [at] lifedesignsinc.org.
- Downtown Recycling Center - PSA on a volunteer campaign to help staff the site, Chad Roeder, chadroeder [at] gmail.com
- Lawns for Life. The contact is Diane Jung: jung [at] indiana.edu
- The Hub - Contact:
Amanda Nickey, email@example.com
T351 Students - The following organizations would like longer, more in-depth videos:
- IU Office of Sustainability - informational videos - They would like a few short videos Contact: Kristen Brethova, 812-855-2678, brethova [at] indiana.edu
- Lotus Education & Arts Foundation: Lotus Blossoms Informational video. Objective: To tell the story and show the impact of the Lotus Blossoms program - which is two-fold - educational programs with multi-cultural artists in area schools/community and our 20th Bazaar.
- Possible story ideas:
I think there is a powerful story behind the evolution of the Bazaar - especially with our 20th Bazaar coming up in March. How it started, changes we made along the way, finding the right location/partners, and what has made it a strong part of our local school culture, as well as tradition. It's produced by a volunteer committee. Binford elementary has been our gracious host since 2002 for this annual event. So many ways to think about interviews with teachers, parents, students, administrators, community organizations (usually over 30) that take part, and so much more. The Bazaar began in 1996 and was the inspiration for the launch of the Lotus Blossoms program in 2001.
Interview with teacher and a Blossoms artist.
Possibly follow a kid and/or a classroom from preparation from an elementary school (4th graders), to coming to the Bazaar, to after the Bazaar.
Overview of the full Lotus Blossoms program - many folks don't know what we do beyond the festival - Blossoms is a multifaceted program that focuses on education, connecting with our schools (5 county area), community engagement, and so much more.
Audience: General community, teachers/school administrators, donors, volunteers, Lotus constituents (especially those that only know about us through our annual festival)
- Contact: Loraine Martin, outreach director.
- Monroe County United Ministries (MCUM) provides high-quality, affordable childcare to low-income families and emergency assistance to households in financial crisis. MCUM will celebrate its 75th anniversary in 2014, and they are hoping to create a 5-7 minute video in honor of this milestone. They'd like to incorporate interviews with a few key supporters (current & former board members, the executive director, etc.), footage from their emergency services and childcare programs, and images from MCUM’s history. The contact is Kate Zilvinskis ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) 827 West 14th Court
Bloomington, Indiana 47404
(812) 339-3429 x15
- New Leaf - New Life - This organization offers services to Monroe County inmates including addiction counseling, GED prep classes, job hunting help, and creative writing classes. They would like an informational/awareness video. Contact: Justyce Weeden, email@example.com.
- El Centro Communal - (Not sure of exact project/need) Contact:
Harlene Haro, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mother Hubbard's Cupboard: (Not sure of exact project/need) Contact: Amanda Nickey, email@example.com
- Herman B Wells Project - They need a number of fun, short videos of archival clips interspersed with music to help keep the memory and vision of Herman B Wells alive. See examples below. The videos would be made available through the website:
Contact: Brian Kearney, Gift Planning Director
Arthur M. Lotz Office for Alumni-Development
IU Maurer School of Law--Bloomington
- The Kinsey Institute is seeking videographers to produce short videos at and about the Institute staff and projects.
The goal is to substantially increase the offerings on the Kinsey Institute Youtube channel.
- “’Sex Toys:’ Novelty items from the Kinsey Institute collections”
- “Condom tips and techniques”
- “Meet the Kinsey Institute staff” (could be more than one)
- “Couples research: What’s sex got to do with it?”
- “Kinsey art gallery”
Other ideas will certainly pop up over the semester, and students can also propose their own. Contact: Jennifer Bass, 812-855-3037 & firstname.lastname@example.org .
T351 and T356 students: The contacts at the Service-Learning Program are:
- Nicole Schönemann - email@example.com
- Andrew Libby - firstname.lastname@example.org
Up to Jim Krause's home page