Converting clips for Playback in Studio 5 with Compressor
OVERVIEW: There are times when you'll need to play video files off of the server in the Studio 5 control room. The only way to do this is if they are in a very specific format: Quicktime movie files must be ProRes (HQ) 1920 x 1080 at 29.97 frames per second. This brief primer explains how to do this with Compressor.
- Open the movie file with Compressor (or from within Compressor choose "add file"). You should see the name of your file in Compressor's main window.
- Note another window that shows "settings" and "destinations" tabs.
- Choose "settings" and expand the Apple Group, then the Formats group, and then the Quicktime group. Select ProRes 422.
- Click on the "Apple ProRes 422" choice (the line will become highlighted). Drag this over your movie file in the main window. (Where it says drag settings and destinations here.)
- Now click on the "Destinations" tab. Click on the "+" icon towards the right to create a new, local destination. You might want to use your media folder or portable hard drive.
Drag this over your movie file in the main window. (Where it says drag settings and destinations here.)
- Press submit and voila, your files will be converted.
It wil likely take Compressor some time to convert your movie file. A short file might take a few minutes, while longer files (E.g. 30 minutes) could take up to an hour. You can monitor the progress by looking at the "Batch Monitor".
- Once your file has been converted, open it with Quicktime and check out the Movie Properties (Apple-I) to make sure it's the right codec and dimensions.
- If you are satisified, copy it over to the "Lab Uploads" folder. This will place it on the SAN for immediate playback in Studio 5.
# # #
Back to Jim's T356 Homepage