T356 Key Graphic Exercise
Summary: In lab use Adobe PhotoShop to
create a keyable title or lower third TV graphic for your Demonstration Video. Upload two copies to Oncourse (your original PSD and a single layer TIFF) - and then go to the lab and import it into the Chyron, saved as a message.
Details: Your graphic can be the title for your Demonstration Video or a keyable lower third. Regardless, it needs to contain at least one image and at least two different (separate) uses of text. It should also adhere to Jim's
After making the graphic in lab, save two copies (your original PSD and a single layer TIFF) into our Oncourse
resources folder. Then go
to Studio 5 and import it into
the Chyron. After importing it into the Chyron, save it as a message.
- Start off by using Photoshop's "Film & Video" preset, "HDTV 1080p/29.97". This will put you in the right color space (RGB), provide the right pixel dimensions (1920 x 1080), give you safe text & action guides.
- Consider the most appropriate color scheme, visual treatment, and layout for your subject.
- Create your graphic
- Save your original PSD file often (as your username)
- When you are happy with the design, create an alpha channel.
- Creating an alpha channel in Photoshop:
- Under the "Window" menu choose "Actions"
- At the top right hand side of the Actions menu there is a pop-up menu. Choose "Video Actions" (near the bottom of the list). This will add a new category of acitons.
- Choose "Create alpha channel from visible layers" which will be the first script under the "Video Actions" category.
- Click the "play" icon at the bottom of the window to execute the script.
- When prompted with an info screen press "continue".
- Create an additional layer at the bottom of your layer stack and fill it with black. (There's a reason for this- ask if you really want to know.)
- When you are finished, save two copies (the original PSD and a single layer TIFF) into our Oncourse "Graphics Exercise" folder. BE SURE THEY ARE BOTH SAVED AS YOUR USERNAME. (Feel free to save a copy onto your own Flash drive.)
- Go to Studio 5
- Copy your TIFF onto a USB/flash memory stick.
- Import into Chyron (Import graphic)
- Save as a Chyron file into the T356/messages folder.
- Call up the graphic on the switcher
- How does it look?
Make sure your graphic meets the following criteria:
- Clearly communicates your message, such as providing the title and what your show has to offer the viewer.
- Contain an image within the graphic (for example if you are making a title
for a music show you could incorporate an image of a guitar).
- Contain at least two different uses of text (title,
host, topic, etc.)
- Meet the technical and aesthetic constraints of a video graphic. (Right
file type, proper pixel dimensions, uses the safe text area, attractive appearance,
easy to read text elements, etc.)
If you are unsure about what makes a good TV graphic, read Jim's
Back to T356 index