Dept. of Telecommunications.
Radio-TV Center, Room 352
mcgregom 'at' indiana.edu
I am very interested in telecommunications policy and how changes in policy affect us as consumers of telecommunications services. I'm also interested in how policy is made, particularly at the Federal Communications Commission. My latest research looks at how the FCC uses its web site and email capabilities in its rule making proceedings.
On the personal front, I enjoy downhill skiing, though it's been a very bad year for it here in Indiana (not that it's ever great here in the Indiana). I also enjoy snorkeling, which, again, is not great in Indiana. But hiking and biking in Indiana is wonderful! I give it my highest recommendation.
- Juris Doctor, Georgetown University, 1977
- B.A., Purdue University, history, 1973
- Foreign Study Harlaxton College, Grantham, Lincolnshire, England
- Undergraduate- and graduate-level media law and policy courses
- Introductory courses in telecommunications industry and management
- COAS E104 Freedom of Speech in the United States
- TEL. T207 Introduction to Telecommunications Industry and Management
- TEL. T424 Telecommunications and the Constitution
- TEL. T530 Survey of Contemporary Telecommunications Policy in the U.S.
Senior attorney, Mass Media Bureau, FCC,1980-1983 (worked on a variety of policy initiatives including television deregulation, modification of the financial interest and syndication rules, and the establishment of the Multichannel Multipoint Distribution Service)
Regional director and staff attorney, Cable Television Information Center, Urban Institute 1977-1980 (assisted cities and counties across the country in establishing cable television policies and selecting franchisees)
- Member of the Board of Directors of Broadcast Education Association, 1994-9
- Member of the Editorial Board for Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media
- Manuscript Review for BEA, ICA, AEJMC
In Federal Communications Law Journal, COMM/ENT Law Journal, Journalism Quarterly, Telecommunication Policy, Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media, and Communication Monographs.
For a complete list of articles see my vitae.
I am also co-author on the 9th edition of Broadcasting in America: A Survey of Electronic Media by Head, Spann, and me!
My favorite show as a kid was "Garfield Goose and Friends" with Frasier Thomas. This is the Garfield Goose exhibit at the Museum of Broadcast Communications in Chicago. Anybody else remember "Clutch Cargo"?