Undergraduate Program | T436: Advanced Production Workshop
Topic: IU Sports Production
Instructor: Jo Throckmorten
Up to 3 credit hours
Prerequisites: T206, T283, T351 or T356, AND permission of the instructor.
The Department of Telecommunications will produce This Is Indiana for IU Athletics. This program will tape 13 times over the course of the semester. This Is Indiana is a comprehensive, SportsCenter-style, TV program which includes news and sports action from each of the 24 intercollegiate sports at IU. The program will be broadcast weekly (Either WTTV-TV Channel 4 in Indianapolis or WTIU-TV Channel 30 in Bloomington). Students will have the opportunity to fill the following positions:
1. Studio Crew Members
- Associate Producer: This position is a vital role known as a "Show
Runner" which handles all show timing, supervision of segment production,
and weekly crew assignments. This position works closely with the Producer
- Director: Director calls the show. (This position rotates among small number of directors)
VTR/Tech – capture of segments and playback of roll-ins
- Audio Engineer: Responsible for multi-talent audio set ups within studio environment, music roll-ins for bumpers and all SFX.
- Floor Director: Manage floor crew and assist on-camera talent
- 4 Camera Operators (Camera 4 is Jib Operator and Asst. Engineer)
2. Post Production
- Editor: Responsible for final delivery of program with all editing to be completed by NOON each Friday. An edit suite in the lab will be allocated to post production (per John Walsh)
- Assistant Editor: Responsible for gathering all segments, supervising "roll-ins" for day-of tapings & assisting Segment production
3. Segment Production
- Each student is required to produce at least one on-location segment piece on time and meeting exacting production standards as assigned by instructor.
- Segment production teams will be assigned to duties throughout each week not to exceed 3 ½ hours of class time. Post production team must be available to complete all editing in time for electronic delivery of program to playback broadcaster.
THIS IS INDIANA will be recorded on Wednesday nights, with the first class meeting and pre-production taking place the first week of classes. A production schedule will be provided at that time. Crew call is 6:00 p.m. and anticipated wrap time is 9:30 p.m. for the studio crew. Segment production teams will be assigned to duties throughout each week not to exceed 3 ½ hours of class time. Post production team must be available to complete all editing by Noon each Friday.
The show producer is Jo Throckmorton (The Kevin Wilson Show, The Tom Crean Show, WCPO-TV broadcast director). If you're interested, send Jo a note today: firstname.lastname@example.org along with your resume, including TC course experiences, and he'll contact you. With his permission, you'll be able to enroll in T436 (section 32536) for up to 3 credits. This is a great opportunity for you to show what you can do – and for you to get experience working on a broadcast television program.
For more information, contact Jo Throckmorton (email@example.com).