Mission Statement, Goals, & Objectives - Student Handbook
The Department of Theatre and Drama, Indiana University , recognizes that Theatre is a collaborative art form that brings together a wide range of talents and skills. As a dynamic art, theatre draws its strength from both rich tradition and stimulating innovation.
Our mission is to prepare students to invigorate and expand the life of the theatre through a broad spectrum of outstanding undergraduate and graduate degree programs in theory and practice led by a committed faculty of artists, scholars, and teachers.
To support our mission we share the following goals:
- To offer a challenging undergraduate theatre and drama education within a liberal arts setting.
- Provide diverse and integrated courses servicing theatre and drama majors and minors as well as non-majors.
- Foster an environment in which classroom study and practical experience in production are of equal and complementary value.
- To provide students of demonstrated talent, skills, and intellectual abilities with a rigorous graduate education in preparation for professional careers.
- To create and present a diverse season of significant live theatre in order to train students and engage audiences with high quality productions.
- Select plays that will challenge (all) students in production.
- Produce plays and projects that encompass a wide range of theatrical material and production styles which will enhance the cultural life of the community.
- Create and produce new works for the theatre.
- To provide resources and support for the scholarly and creative activities of faculty and students.
- Guest Artists and Scholars
- Collins Lecture Series
- Research and Creative Activity Accounts
- Travel grants
- The National Society of the Arts and Letters Competition
- To foster a creative atmosphere which will encourage faculty and students to take intellectual and artistic risks.
- Create and maintain a secure and safe environment
- Develop and maintain open communication
- Enhance self-confidence
- To develop cultural diversity in the Department of Theatre and Drama by: