Departmental Van Policy - Graduate Student Handbook
ALL DRIVERS of departmental vehicles (and any other vehicle used for departmental business, including personal vehicles) MUST COMPLETE THE ONLINE AUTHORIZATION FOR A DRIVING BACKGROUND CHECK AND BECOME AN APPROVED DRIVER BY THE UNIVERSITY’S OFFICE OF INSURANCE. Failure to complete these two steps will place you in violation of university policy, FIN-INS-02.
Department vehicles, e.g., trucks, vans, and cars, may be used ONLY for departmental business.
Before driving for any trip, complete the Authorization Form for Motor Vehicle Records Check, found on IU's Office of Insurance, Loss Control & Claims website. In order to fill out the form the driver must provide:
- Driver’s license number and issuing state
- University Employee/Student number
- Date of birth
- Official Indiana University email address, e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org
- Social Security number (only for non-employees/students and out-of-state licenses)
- Local address
- Department Name (Employees and students only), select “THEATRE AND DRAMA”
If you have any trouble completing the form, please contact Production Manager Thomas Quintas or Department Secretary Katie Bowman. After providing the above information, approval typically takes two business days or less. Failure to pass the driving background check will prevent you from driving any vehicle on university business.
- Keys to the department truck are available from Assistant Technical Director Christopher Berg or Technical Director Paul Brunner. Department van keys are available from Department Secretary Katie Bowman or Fiscal Officer James Barrow. Before given the keys to a departmental vehicle, verification of Office of Insurance approval will be performed. (Should your approval status change, notification is sent to the Chairman of the Department, Jonathan Michaelsen.)
- Please, reserve the departmental van in advance. Reservations are kept by the Department Secretary and/or Production Manager. Priority for van use will be given to reservations noted on the THTRVan calendar. To make a reservation the following information must be provided:
- Driver’s full name
- Purpose of trip
- Departure date and time
- Expected return date and time
- Vans must be returned by the time specified. In the event of an unavoidable emergency which delays the return time, driver must call Department Secretary (855-8974) or Production Manager (855-7303) prior to 4:30 P.M. Keys must be returned to the Department Secretary or Fiscal Officer upon return.
- The van should be RETURNED WITH NO LESS THAN ONE HALF TANK OF GAS. Gas may be obtained at IU’s Motor Pool, 801 N. Range Road, Bloomington, Indiana 47405. The gas pump is located to the left of the building as you enter the driveway. The key is hanging from the van’s turn signal. Enter in the provided code (Available from the Department Secretary, Production Manager, or Fiscal Officer.). You may also be asked for the current odometer reading. If you have any questions regarding refueling, someone inside the Motor Pool building will be able to assist you. There is also a free, automatic, drive-thru car/van wash Motor Pool.
- Keep the interior and exterior of the van clean. When you return the van, take your trash with you. If passengers leave trash, the driver is the one responsible. Should the van be returned without refueling or in a dirty condition, you will be asked to refuel or clean the van.
- In the event of an accident, please report even the smallest scratch on a vehicle IMMEDIATELY to the Production Manager. If you fail to do this, the department rather than university insurance will be billed for repairs. Before you take a departmental vehicle, please check to see if another driver has damaged it. If so, report immediately! All accidents should be reported immediately to the Production Manager AND the Office of Insurance (Their primary contact for auto accidents is Kutina England (cell: 812-345-9756), then Paul Endris (cell: 812-278-4105), Larry Stephens (cell: 812-360-4709), or Larry Shaver (cell: 812-327-3410). During normal business hours you can reach the Office of Insurance at 812-855-9758.)
- Call in this order:
- 911 if needed.
- Production Manager Thomas Quintas, 812-855-7303 (office) or 812-606-4572 (cell): OR
- Managing Director Drew Bratton, 812-855-5568 (office) or 773-220-9969 (cell)
- After receiving instructions from either production manager or arts administrator, immediately contact the Office of Insurance. See numbers above. They will give you further instructions which may include calling the following:
- POLICE: A police report is required.
- City of Bloomington Police: 812-339-4477 OR
- IU Police: 812-855-4111
- IU Motor Pool: 855-3300. They will tow the vehicle if necessary.
ALL ACCIDENTS AND DAMAGE TO THE VAN, NO MATTER HOW SMALL, MUST BE REPORTED TO THOMAS QUINTAS OR DREW BRATTON. IF THEY ARE NOT REPORTED, THE UNIVERSITY'S INSURANCE DOES NOT COVER THE DAMAGE AND THE DEPARTMENT OF THEATRE AND DRAMA MUST PAY FOR THE REPAIRS.
- In the event of a maintenance problem with the van, please notify the Department Secretary (855-8974) immediately and, if necessary and feasible – deliver van to IU Motor Pool for repair. DO NOT leave a message. If you cannot reach the Department Secretary, please call the Executive Assistant Cindi Severance (855-5382).